Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dolly

Please Explain The Difference Between Celiac Disease & Gluten Intolerant

Would someone please explain to me the differnce between Celiac disease and gluten intolerance. My allergist saw my blood test results and told me I needed a GI doctor and not her. Would that rule out gluten intolerance?

I am really confussed by all of this.

Thanks!!!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

This link helps explain the difference. Here are a few key points:

* Gluten intolerance is an adverse food-induced reaction that does not involve the immune system. This is a reaction in the digestive tract that causes gastrointestinal symptoms.

*Celiac disease is an autoimmune condition. Autoimmune disorders occur when the immune system acts to destroy the body's own tissues. The tissue damage created by an autoimmune disorder can lead to medical complications and an increased risk for other disorders. The trigger for this autoimmune response is gluten.

All people with celiac disease are gluten intollerant, but not all gluten intollerant people have celiac disease. An allergist would be qualified to interpret bloodwork for allergic responses, but celiac disease and/or gluten intollerance is not an allergy.

Hope this helps.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

Hmmm, interesting. I only have gluten intolerance, but I definitely have immune system reactions. I have a lot of the same auto immune problems that Celiacs have: thyroid problems, psoriasis and excema, had psoriatic arthritis and an auto immune kidney problem. My thyroid and skin problems have gotten MUCH better since going gluten-free and the other two issues are completely gone since going gluten-free. I wouldn't be so quick to say that people with gluten intolerance don't have immune system reactions.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Join eNewsletter

Hmmm, interesting. I only have gluten intolerance, but I definitely have immune system reactions. I have a lot of the same auto immune problems that Celiacs have: thyroid problems, psoriasis and excema, had psoriatic arthritis and an auto immune kidney problem. My thyroid and skin problems have gotten MUCH better since going gluten-free and the other two issues are completely gone since going gluten-free. I wouldn't be so quick to say that people with gluten intolerance don't have immune system reactions.

Sort of the point of the thread I think. Many of these terms don't have a standard definition. The article linked to gives a specific definition (and WebMD offers a similar one) of an intolerance being a digestive system response. Only to the extent we accept that definition, if you have gluten intolerance and have immune system reactions, you have two different conditions at the same time.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter