Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NorthernElf

Gluten Sensitivity To Full Blown Celiac !?!

A brief history...

My 'journey' began with sinus issues, after a history of stomach complaints from my teenage years on that was chalked up to IBS. The sinus problems started at 35 years of age, and were followed by headaches, joint pain & fatigue, irritableness, etc. I had xrays and a CT scan of my sinuses, tried various nasal sprays, had an allergy test - nothing worked. Thank God for the internet - I eventually found info on gluten sensitivity and celiacs. At about the same time, I developed GERD and roseacea. I take zantac daily and use a cream on my face to control the rosacea.

My doc gave me a transglutamase blood test (not the celiac panel) after I had mostly quit gluten. I had to wait just over 3 months to get an endoscope and by then I was gluten-free and the doc only ordered the scope to follow up on the GERD, so no biopsies were taken. I didn't know to keep eating gluten at this point -wish I had !

Anyway, my symptoms have increasingly gotten worse. I am mom in a family of 5 and cross contamination can be an issue. I did turf the breadmaker because the crumbs got everywhere and I was always feeling ill. A couple of days ago I ate some Terra chips, accidentally buying the Mediterranean flavor instead of the plain ones. In the time it took me to drive from one store to another I had eaten 2-3 handfuls, realized they were flavored, and read the label - "contains maltodextrin (wheat)". ARGH ! I spent the night and most of the next day with stomach cramps and nausea. Now, I seem to be able to handle some cross contamination but this was enough to give me quite a reaction, worse I've ever had.

So - in order to go to work last night I took a Reactine for my sinuses and a couple of Pepto Bismol tablets to stop the nausea & cramping...which worked for about 4-5 hours, enough to get me through. I also ate very light because food (or coffee) just started up the cramping again. Ugh.

Is this a typical development for celiacs ? I had always considered myself gluten sensitive. I know the transglutimase test is sort of one dimensional, mostly targeted at folks that have quite a bit of intestinal damage, which isn't the case for all celiacs. It's weird to me that my reactions are getting worse and I am gluten-free, except for the odd screw up or CC.

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

. It's weird to me that my reactions are getting worse and I am gluten-free, except for the odd screw up or CC.

I'm experiencing the same thing - gluten free since June of this year - it seems now I react more severely intestinally than I did before - my guess is that my gut is healing and just sensitive - your small intestine atrophies in later stages of celiac disease so I would guess that it just doesn't "feel" the gluten. Then when you begin healing... it more prone to knowing when the gluten is present. I'm not a doctor - but it makes sense to me.

Gluten free since June 2007
symptoms relieved: thyroid condition, high cholesterol, rash, gut pain, joint pain, mood swings, migraines, chronic fatigue, facial acne, canker sores, hair loss

soy free since 2010 - menopausal  symptoms are nonexistent / facial acne culprit revealed

dairy free since May 2013 - less "puffy" - suspecting that I may be able to lose weight easier without the inflammation from the dairy.

Join eNewsletter

It seems to be fairly common that one's reaction to a substance is stronger when it has been generally eliminated from one's diet. I know this is what has happened to me with gluten, casein, egg, and soy. (Don't get me started on yeast. I can't see a reaction whether I eat it or not.)

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00

Gluten free since 1/6/07

Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07

Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07

Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)

Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)

Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)

Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter