This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Help Healing My Intestines!

Diana Mary

Diana Mary Newbie

This is my first time posting! I wanted to share my story and ask a few questions about how I can get my health back on track most effectively. I am sure everyone has heard stories and questions like this 5,000 million times, but here goes anyway:

I have had strange mystery symptoms for the past three years. Headaches, fatigue, constant bouts of the flu and sinus infections, acne, allergies, anxiety, and unexplainable mood changes that have grown increasingly worse. Before these symptoms, I lived a very healthy life; although I have always been plagued with hayfever and chronic constipation. But I thought these things were "normal."

When my symptoms grew progressively worse, I began to complain about these new mystery symptoms to my doctors. Over the course of three years I complained to at least four different doctors. Because I am a teacher, each doctor wrote off my symptoms as being stress related or a result of exposure to germy teenagers. Since I was in my mid-twenties and appeared to be in perfect health, they told me to take it easy and to avoid stress. My symptoms grew worse.

Finally, after feeling like I was on the verge of death for so long, I took matters into my own hands and did my own research. All signs kept pointing to Celiac Disease. I begged my doctor for a blood test and my doctor reluctantly agreed (but remained skeptical). It came out positive.

After my diagnosis I have done everything in my power to educate myself about my disease. I have read multiple books and hired a personal nutritionist to get my health back on track. But it's been quite a struggle. I understand the importance of staying on track: my grandmother was clinically schizophrenic and my mother recently admitted that she has been silently suffering from schizophrenic symptoms her entire life. Based on all of the research I have read, the experiences within my family, and my own health issues, I believe the connection between mental illness and Celiac Disease is very real. It has been documented since the 1960s...since this information would overturn our food and pharmecutical industries as we know it, this information is not readily spread throughout the media, unfortunately.

On to my questions: I have been gluten-free for a while now with only moderate improvement. However, once I began the anti-candida diet, I feel like a new person. I have completely eliminated sugar (even natural sugar) from my diet, I take CANDEX, Oil of Oregano, Colloidal Silver supplements, probiotics, and have been eating raw garlic like there's no tomorrow. I finally am beginning to feel like my old self again. This is the best feeling in the world! Here are my questions/concerns:

How long should I stay on the anti-candida diet? I know I will be gluten-free for eternity, but when can I start adding fruit, the nightshade family, safe grains like quinoa, and maybe the occasional gluten-free beer back into my diet? In your experience, how long do intestines take to heal? How will I know my system is ready? As of now, I was planning to stick with the no sugar anti-candida diet for a month and a half...is this unrealistic? Will Colloidal Silver turn me blue-grey or is this FDA propaganda?

Thanks so much for reading and thanks for your help!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rock on Apprentice

Hi Diana,

Welcome to the board! I don't have an answer for you about how long to continue this anti-candida battle. (sorry!) I am interested in it though because I think that my husband might need to start the battle too, so I am going to track this thread to see what others here have to say.

But, I was curious what this Candex was that you're taking & looked into it. The ingredients are:

Vegetarian Cellulase 148,000 CU

Vegetarian Hemicellulase 60,000 HCU

Vegetarian Amylase 8000 DU

Vegetarian Glucoamylase 400 mg

Vegetarian Invertase 1200 SU

Vegetarian Malt Diastase 400 DP

I am wondering if that last ingredient that has Malt in it is gluten free. Anyone have ideas about that?

Diana - what is the diet that you're following? just eliminating sugar or is there more to it?

~R.O.

Diana Mary Newbie

I only eat these things:

Kale

Spinach leaves

Onions

Garlic

Cilantro

Parsley

Broccoli

Cauliflower

Eggs

Brown Rice Tortillas

Hummus

Almond Butter

Walnuts

Sunflower Seeds

Pumpkin Seeds

Black/Pinto Beans (sparingly)

Water (no juice, no alcohol)

Ginger tea (great for digestion(

Dandelion tea (great for helping liver)

I cook everything with coconut oil and drizzle olive oil on salads. I never cook with olive oil because it becomes rancid when cooked at higher temperatures. Coconut oil can be cooked at any temperature without losing its nutritional properties, and it's awesome for fighting candida (it contains caprylic acid). In addition, it smells wonderful while cooking and adds a tropical flavor to your meals. Everything tastes better when cooked in coconut oil!

Diana Mary Newbie

PS: As for the Candex, this is the second round I have taken, and I have not experienced any feelings of being "glutenated." I am incredibly sensitive to gluten and can usually tell in one hour whether or not I ate one of the evil devil grains.

Please anyone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that things other than barley can be malted and it's okay for us to consume. For example, "maltodextrin" can either be derived from barley or corn, and it's okay for us to consume when it's derived from corn. Perhaps this is the case with the malt ingredient in Candex, Malt diastase. If you look up "diastase" on wikipedia, you will see that it is an enzyme that someone discovered during the malting process. And if you look up the malting process on wikipedia, you will see it is a process you can do with any grain...not just barley.

Does anyone else have any other experiences with Candex?

Rya Newbie

I also don't know anything about Candex, sorry! I believe you are right, barley is not the only thing that can be malted; the issue is there is no way to know unless you contact the manufacturer or find someone that already has.

As far as intestinal healing, it generally takes about three to six months. Some people with severe symptoms that do not heal within that time may need to take a steroid regimine to aid in healing; from what I understand this is not that common though. Keep in mind, even one tiny speck of gluten can set you back three to six months again if you have "full-blown" Celiac. I myself only have "partial" (this is as defined by my doctor..it's the only place I've heard it) and I find that I tend to feel better more quickly.

rock on Apprentice

aaahhh, yes....I think you're right Diana...I forgot that malted stuff can be made from other sources like corn. If you react severely to gluten, then it seems reasonable that the malt is made from something other than wheat.

thank you for the list of what you're eating on the diet. It seems like a pretty restrictive diet. I bet if you do this diet for a month you will give your system a much needed break that will facilitate a faster healing. I have heard that healing is very individual. The doctor that takes care of our nephew who has severe celiac (he was so ill as an infant that we all feared for his life) said that it will take up to a year for his intestines to be healed completely. I don't know if that's because of the severity of his reaction to gluten or not.

hope you keep feeling better!

and i'm definitely going to check out the coconut oil!

Lisa Mentor
I also don't know anything about Candex, sorry! I believe you are right, barley is not the only thing that can be malted; the issue is there is no way to know unless you contact the manufacturer or find someone that already has.

As far as intestinal healing, it generally takes about three to six months. Some people with severe symptoms that do not heal within that time may need to take a steroid regimine to aid in healing; from what I understand this is not that common though. Keep in mind, even one tiny speck of gluten can set you back three to six months again if you have "full-blown" Celiac. I myself only have "partial" (this is as defined by my doctor..it's the only place I've heard it) and I find that I tend to feel better more quickly.

Healing can take up to several years depending on the amount of damage done through undiagnosed. I have NEVER heard of steroid treatment to speed the healing process. I don't believe this to be true and an ineffective aid to healing. Only a total gluten free diet will heal your system. Yes, many can have a set back when exposed to gluten and the damage done by the immune response.

It is not possible to have "partial Celiac". You either have it or you don't. You may have lesser damage, but the disease is present and it will be there for life management. I am afraid that you doctor is ill informed.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Diana Mary Newbie

It does seem like a terribly tedious diet, but you know what? Since it makes me feel so much better, I'm not bitter at all! I love it! This morning I had a delicious onion/garlic cilantro omelet and for lunch I am making sauteed kale brown rice quesadillas...dipped in hummus!

I am dreading Thanksgiving a bit. I've decided to come to my family meal stocked with gluten free goodies...I am making yeast-free brown rice bread stuffing, gluten free spinach and artichoke dip, and a huge salad.

Good luck with the gluten free cooking and I hope you like the coconut oil!

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
Healing can take up to several years depending on the amount of damage done through undiagnosed. I have NEVER heard of steroid treatment to speed the healing process. I don't believe this to be true and an ineffective aid to healing. Only a total gluten free diet will heal your system. Yes, many can have a set back when exposed to gluten and the damage done by the immune response.

It is not possible to have "partial Celiac". You either have it or you don't. You may have lesser damage, but the disease is present and it will be there for life management. I am afraid that you doctor is ill informed.

I thought steroid therapy was common for refractory sprue. I forget where I read that though, we could ask canadian Karen.

Lisa Mentor
I thought steroid therapy was common for refractory sprue. I forget where I read that though, we could ask canadian Karen.

Open Original Shared Link

Yes, steroid therapy can be uesd in extreme unresponsive cases and not all respond and the prognosis may be poor.

Is is not used as a tool to expedite healing among general Celiacs.

Yes, steroid therapy can be uesd in extreme unresponsive cases and not all respond and the prognosis may be poor.

Is is not used as a tool to expedite healing among general Celiacs.

Oh, ok, so like Rya said, not that common. I am no longer confuzzled.

sickchick Community Regular

Hi Diana! :)

I think Candida if it's systemic and in a severe state I am pretty certain there are emotional|psychological imalances as well. One thing I noticed immediately was severe

depression from the hexheimer reaction (sp?) I was also having mood changes with

the probiotics and digestive enzymes. I stuck with garlic (and now I am good with probiotics)

because they seem to work best for me.

I have seen that Candex but I have not taken it before.

Good luck in your healing journey!

lovelove

sickchick

On to my questions: I have been gluten-free for a while now with only moderate improvement. However, once I began the anti-candida diet, I feel like a new person. I have completely eliminated sugar (even natural sugar) from my diet, I take CANDEX, Oil of Oregano, Colloidal Silver supplements, probiotics, and have been eating raw garlic like there's no tomorrow. I finally am beginning to feel like my old self again. This is the best feeling in the world! Here are my questions/concerns:

How long should I stay on the anti-candida diet? I know I will be gluten-free for eternity, but when can I start adding fruit, the nightshade family, safe grains like quinoa, and maybe the occasional gluten-free beer back into my diet? In your experience, how long do intestines take to heal? How will I know my system is ready? As of now, I was planning to stick with the no sugar anti-candida diet for a month and a half...is this unrealistic? Will Colloidal Silver turn me blue-grey or is this FDA propaganda?

Thanks so much for reading and thanks for your help!!!

Diana, I've just noticed that none of us actually answered your question. This might not be the best place for info about candida diets or how long to stay on them, although a number of people on the board are familiar with them from personal experience. I would try googling candida and see what you get, compare the different website info.

I think it's wonderful that youve cut all that sugar out of your diet, although the addition of fruit will be a welcome one, I'm sure. Does the candida diet call for no meat or something? I noticed you didn't list any meats on your 'ok' list.

Diana Mary Newbie
Hi Diana! :)

I think Candida if it's systemic and in a severe state I am pretty certain there are emotional|psychological imalances as well. One thing I noticed immediately was severe

depression from the hexheimer reaction (sp?) I was also having mood changes with

the probiotics and digestive enzymes. I stuck with garlic (and now I am good with probiotics)

because they seem to work best for me.

I have seen that Candex but I have not taken it before.

Good luck in your healing journey!

lovelove

sickchick

Collette:

I've definitely been on an emotional rollercoaster since I've changed my diet...I think this is the result of extreme internal detoxing! It's good to see that others experience this too! I also get periods of extreme fatigue. I have been consuming raw garlic as well (two cloves before bed) and this seems to help expedite the whole recovery process.

If you ever have candida issues in the future, I definitely recommend Candex and Oil of Oregano supplements!

Diana Mary Newbie
Diana, I've just noticed that none of us actually answered your question. This might not be the best place for info about candida diets or how long to stay on them, although a number of people on the board are familiar with them from personal experience. I would try googling candida and see what you get, compare the different website info.

I think it's wonderful that youve cut all that sugar out of your diet, although the addition of fruit will be a welcome one, I'm sure. Does the candida diet call for no meat or something? I noticed you didn't list any meats on your 'ok' list.

No, you can eat meat on the candida diet. I'm kind of new to the whole cooking thing, so I have been starting out slowly with simple dishes. Maybe someday I will prepare fantastic meat dishes, but for now I'll stick to veggies. My nutritionist recommended that if I do eat meat, it must be organic, free range and lean, otherwise it's not worth eating! She also recommended to never eat pork. Pork is like a giant pile of parasites!

I am really surprised that not that many people discuss candida on this board. Based on everything I have read, celiacs who have gone undiagnosed for a long time are very susceptible to candida overgrowths and leaky gut syndrome. When the intestines have been compromised, bad bacteria and yeast can take over, wreaking havoc in the intestines, and over time, making them permeable. Once the intestines are permeable, toxins can flow freely throughout the body, causing all kinds of health problems (physical and mental). This is why many people still do not feel well after going gluten free. Though the gliadin antibody production and the villi damage stops, the intestines may still be permeable and bad bacteria and yeast continue to flourish.

No, you can eat meat on the candida diet. I'm kind of new to the whole cooking thing, so I have been starting out slowly with simple dishes. Maybe someday I will prepare fantastic meat dishes, but for now I'll stick to veggies. My nutritionist recommended that if I do eat meat, it must be organic, free range and lean, otherwise it's not worth eating! She also recommended to never eat pork. Pork is like a giant pile of parasites!

I am really surprised that not that many people discuss candida on this board. Based on everything I have read, celiacs who have gone undiagnosed for a long time are very susceptible to candida overgrowths and leaky gut syndrome. When the intestines have been compromised, bad bacteria and yeast can take over, wreaking havoc in the intestines, and over time, making them permeable. Once the intestines are permeable, toxins can flow freely throughout the body, causing all kinds of health problems (physical and mental). This is why many people still do not feel well after going gluten free. Though the gliadin antibody production and the villi damage stops, the intestines may still be permeable and bad bacteria and yeast continue to flourish.

Oh, there's certainly been a great deal of discussion regarding it, I just don't think there are too many experts on the board. There's a few people who know a bunch and then a lot of people who know a little (it would seem to me).

• 2 years later...
Gutsy Girl Rookie

If ya'll don't mind, I would really like to BUMP this discussion back up. I know it was originally started in 2007 by another member, but I suspect asking questions and looking into the possibilities of candida (yeast) problems related to Celiac Disease might help both me and others here.

I will post more later (I also want to see if anyone is interested in looking into this in more detail with me before I go hog wild writing replies to me, myself, and I).

There is a Celiac Disease support group over at Open Original Shared Link

Open Original Shared Linkceliac-disease

And there are folks who have talked at some length about the relationship between Celiac Disease and yeast infections/candida overgrowth, etc. I participate there as well, and my "name" for now is "sbosse".

If you're interested in knowing some more about the link between Candida and Celiac Disease, check out this amazing link!

Archived