Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Joyous

How Long Does It Take For Symptoms To Appear?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

How long does it take for your symptoms to appear if you eat something with gluten in it?

Hi Joyous,

Well each person is differant, us it happens right off the bat, but for some it can take a few days.

I'm not really sure for you and maybe someone else will chime in and know more for you.

Just hang in there someone will answer you soon, just try to keep an eye on what you eat or are around so you don't get glutened.

Bea

My family has a kind of long reaction time.

For Lucas, it takes 12-36 hours for a CC issue.

For me, with my challenges, I've noticed that wheat only takes a few hours, while barley takes about 24 hours. CC wheat (a smaller amount) takes about 24 hours.

My mom takes a shorter time, generally within just a few hours even if it's only the tiniest CC.

Not sure about Ezra yet, we haven't had enough experience with him to tell an average. He did get CC'ed Friday night and symptoms showed by Sunday.

-Sarah

--Son, Lucas, age 7. Gluten-free since May 2007

--Son, Ezra, age 5. Gluten-free 10/13/07. Bipolar tendencies, massively improved on gluten-free diet! He's also allergic to a jillion antibiotics.

--My mother has Celiac Disease, dx'ed by Positive Blood Tests and Biopsy. Diagnosed Sarcoidosis 6/08.

--Myself, Gluten-free since 8/07

Time heals all hurt of heart... but time must be won.

I've been wondering about this too. I'm about 6 mos. post diagnosis, and I got rebellious and cheated over Thanksgiving (ate a piece of pie) and then continued to cheat for about 5 days b/c I really wasn't feeling bad. Well, I did start feeling bad, but chalked it up to something else and kept cheating. Symptoms of diarhea started after a few days (my usual is 2 -3 days lag time), but now I've been feeling the bad gut pains for almost 2 weeks and can't seem to recover, even though I'm being very careful again. The d. won't go away, the gas pains won't go away, the nasea won't go away, and I've been "good" for over a week now. A friend told me that each flare up could get worse and worse. Is this what I have to look forward to?

It takes me about 24-48 hours to notice an effect, even from out right cheating. I just started the diet in August.

I actually wish the symptoms were instantaneous. It sure would make it easier to figure out what you did wrong. Not to mention, doctors would've caught on to the problems with gluten a long, long time ago.

Celiac blood testing negative July 2007

Confirmed diagnosis of wheat allergy by skin test Dec 2007

Gluten-lite since July 2007 (didn't know all the hidden sources of gluten)

Gluten-free since December 2007

Life Long Symptoms

Extreme fatigue--needing 10-12 hours of sleep and still woke up exhusted

Allergic to everything--allergies remained out of control despite shots and strict enviornmental controls in my home.

Severe "sinus" headaches

More Recent Symptoms

IBS symptoms

Severe stabbing stomach pains that started 6 months before diagnosis of wheat allergy.

In my heart I feel it is more than an allergy and that I am gluten intolerant. This is based on my how eerily my childhood maladies match most celiac's histories, and my more recent increase in the severity of my usual symptoms and new digestive symptoms that have already started to subside on the gluten-free diet.