Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Liviesmom

Confused On Results

Hello - this is my first venture to this site. My 3 yo daughter got her celiacs results and we can't get to the GI for 2 mos. As mentioned, her total IgA was 59 (range for age group 41-395). But, alleles were detected in the genetic test, giving her a higher risk for celiacs. She has chronic diahera (or just mush, I guess). I know the GI will want to scope her, but in the meantime, should I start going gluten free?? She has some symptoms, but isn't testing positive, except for having the gene. The lab report says no serological markers were detected, but that this test does not rule out a diagnosis of celiacs. Any words of advice would be great.

Thanks,

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hello - this is my first venture to this site. My 3 yo daughter got her celiacs results and we can't get to the GI for 2 mos. As mentioned, her total IgA was 59 (range for age group 41-395). But, alleles were detected in the genetic test, giving her a higher risk for celiacs. She has chronic diahera (or just mush, I guess). I know the GI will want to scope her, but in the meantime, should I start going gluten free?? She has some symptoms, but isn't testing positive, except for having the gene. The lab report says no serological markers were detected, but that this test does not rule out a diagnosis of celiacs. Any words of advice would be great.

Thanks,

Karen

Hi Karen! Welcome to the board.

A total IgA doesn't diagnose Celiac, but tells if she has an IgA deficiency (which can affect the accuracy of the other Celiac blood tests).

Did she have the other blood tests run: http://www.celiacdiseasecenter.columbia.ed...C05-Testing.htm

Do NOT go gluten free until the testing that you choose to have is completed. The testing measures the damage done by gluten and the antibodies your body produces. If you stop eating gluten, and are a Celiac, your body begins to heal and you will test negative. That is the last thing you want---a false negative!