Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SweetAmber32

Newly Diagnoised With Gluten Intolerance

I am newly diagnoised into this wrold of Celiac Disease/ Gluten Intolerance. Unfortunantly I was not able to be tested as I have no health insurance. I have been out of work for a year due to Fibromyalgia and maybe even Gluten Intolerance. I found out of my intolerance due to eating Seitan. For those who don't know what that is, it is a "meatless" gluten product made for vegetarians. Talk about feeling miserable. Hives, burning, severe lethargy, etc. I made a Doctors appt, that got canceled due to snow, so a new appt was made. To prepare for this appt. I purposely ate seitan again. I did not want my Doctor thinking I was being a hypochondriac. Luckily he did not. He took one look at me and said I was Gluten Intolerant. I even had breathing difficulties later that night. I have been eating gluten/ wheat free for nearly a month now and I feel great. I told my mother recently, that I must have had this since I was kid as I always have had stomach problems. She took me to the Doctor when I was a kid, but the tests were negative. Then about 3-4 years ago I woke up one day and could not button nor zip my pants. I had to hold by pants up by safety pins. In a month my weight went up by 20lbs and I started heart burn and acid reflux. I was diagnoised with having acid reflux, but the meds never worked and even when i avoided foods I stil had heart burn and acid flux. My weight has gone up by nearly 60 lbs since that day. And the bloating was bad. I even develped severe IBS. But since I changed my diet and I try to watch it like a hawk, my IBS is gone, the bloating gone, the heart burn and acid reflux gone, my weight is going down, my clothes are getting bigger. Even some of my aches and pains associated with Fibromayalgia ( I was diagnoised with this in August) have lessened some. I have not felt this great, in I don't know how long. I can even breathe while sleeping on my back and right side, which I have not been able to due for the last few years. I can tell that alot of those on this forum, that they consider their illnesses a nightmare. But I see it differently. I've been given a gift. I have been given a new lease on life. :D

I like the way my stomach feels now, too much, to go back to the way and the what I used to eat.

Cancer Sucks

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Welcome to the Forum and the world of better health!!!!

I've been given a gift. I have been given a new lease on life.

I completely agree with you!! Before I discovered my intolerance to gluten, my life was going from bad to worse. And now, I have a few days where I get bummed out that I can't eat a brownie or pizza, but those days are getting less and less as I feel better and better. I am thankful that my illness can be controlled by food instead of some pill I would have to take for the rest of my life and worry about crazy side effects!!!

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Join eNewsletter

Welcome to the Forum and the world of better health!!!!

I completely agree with you!! Before I discovered my intolerance to gluten, my life was going from bad to worse. And now, I have a few days where I get bummed out that I can't eat a brownie or pizza, but those days are getting less and less as I feel better and better. I am thankful that my illness can be controlled by food instead of some pill I would have to take for the rest of my life and worry about crazy side effects!!!

Here here!

By the way I was diagnosed as an infant but reintroduced to grains when I was 4. It was downhill all the way. Doctors just didn't get it back then and are only starting to now. I am glad your doc and you figured this out. I had to do it on my own like so many others.

Yolo

Diagnosed celiac sprue as infant: failure to thrive & pneumonia-back on grains age 4. Began herbs 1971 combating chronic kidney disease/general ill health 1973. Avoid wheat family and "allergens" by 1980. Late 80's doc. diagnosed candida: cave-man diet. Diagnosed degraded myelin sheath 2006; need co-enzyme B vitamins. Discovered celiac fall 2007; finally told diagnosis as infant. Recently found I am salicylic acid intolerant. Ironically can't tolerate most herbs now. Can now eat brown rice & other gluten-free grains (except corn) & even maple syrup & now homeopathic medicine works! Am still exploring the shape of this elephant but I've made progress!

Join eNewsletter

hello from another newbie in the gluten-free way of life!

I just wanted to say that your positive attitude towards your diagnosis will certainly help in your return to health...I know that by viewing my diagnosis as "hey--at least now I know what to do to get healthy" rather than "oh poor me, I have to change my life now", I have seen marked improvements in my health even in the month I have been gluten free. (And when there was a slip-up, BOY was I reminded with a vengeance what terrible things I used to live with on a regular basis!)

Bye for now, and welcome!

-Glutina ;)

-Recently diagnosed with extreme gluten sensitivity

-Celiac test results: negative

-In and out of hospitals and doctors offices for past 5 years with stomach/digestive issues

-Eating disordered past (this most likely triggered gluten issues G.I. thinks)

Symptoms when glutened: Diah. and Cons.; cramping/uncomfortable abdomen; rash on forehead; extreme fatigue; sometimes excruciating abdominal pain; feeling of weakness; acid reflux

**New to the gluten free way of living, but feeling like my old, healthy self again!!**

Join eNewsletter

Welcome! Nice to meet you! I'm pretty new here as well. I'm only 3 weeks gluten-free, but like you, I have a whole new outlook on life! I feel hopeful and encouraged for the first time in a long while and the people here are great! Something you said in your very first post has already been an inspiration to someone else (me) so that should also make you feel good! One of my most vexing and hard to figure out problems is that of being unable to breath at night when laying flat. Your testimony that you are improving in that regard gives me hope!! Thanks!

Kritter

Join eNewsletter

Welcome! Nice to meet you! I'm pretty new here as well. I'm only 3 weeks gluten-free, but like you, I have a whole new outlook on life! I feel hopeful and encouraged for the first time in a long while and the people here are great! Something you said in your very first post has already been an inspiration to someone else (me) so that should also make you feel good! One of my most vexing and hard to figure out problems is that of being unable to breath at night when laying flat. Your testimony that you are improving in that regard gives me hope!! Thanks!

Kritter

Join eNewsletter

Hey - just diagnosed last week. Wish I had not put up with years and years of feeling miserable thinking it was just "normal" for my body. Just starting with gluten-free and for me it will just be making sure I know what to eat & what not to eat I suppose. But all of these success stories definitely give me hope. I don't want to get too excited too soon, but after only 20 or so hrs gluten-free, my tummy feels completely different and has stopped that incessant gurgling/churning sensation. Am hoping my sinus headaches go down in number too as I have been reading many celiacs whose headaches have gone away since going gluten-free. Cheers all!

Join eNewsletter

. I did not want my Doctor thinking I was being a hypochondriac. Luckily he did not. He took one look at me and said I was Gluten Intolerant.

Welcome to the board! Sounds like you have a very smart doctor, your very lucky!

Kathy

Gluten free 3/08

Negative blood work/positive endoscopy

Fructose Malabsorption

Soy free

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter