Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ksymonds84

Beware Of Bakers Joy

I have mentioned before that my husband and I own restaurants. My husband is also the local restaurant association president so we see alot of kitchens. Alot of steak houses will spray the steaks so they won't stick to the grill with a restaurant supply source that is like Pam but some also use the bakers joy (contains wheat). Not trying to scare anyone, the restaurants that are known for gluten free menu's such as carraba's and outback do NOT use this practice. Just want to give a heads up on something you should ask about if going to a steak house that is not gluten savvy.

Kathy

Gluten free 3/08

Negative blood work/positive endoscopy

Fructose Malabsorption

Soy free

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

*bangs head against computer* WHY??? what is the point of having wheat in cooking spray??? And on steak too?? One of the easiest foods to get gluten-free???

Well thanks for the heads up anyway :rolleyes: any other tricks we should be worried about?

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Join eNewsletter

*bangs head against computer* WHY??? what is the point of having wheat in cooking spray??? And on steak too?? One of the easiest foods to get gluten-free???

Well thanks for the heads up anyway :rolleyes: any other tricks we should be worried about?

Yes, I agree that there isn't a good reason to do this. Bakers Joy is usually used for the Pantry Chef for Dessert items so again if ordering a dessert make sure they don't use bakers joy. Don't know of anymore tricks but can suggest a couple of things. Chefs are always proud of their kitchens and their food, always ask for them if you can or call ahead to talk to them. They don't mind (unless your calling them during the peak of business) talking about the preparation of your food infact, they usually enjoy it (the good ones). I would never just ask to see the manager because the front of the house usually doesn't get involved with the food preparation and may misunderstand. Also, always try to dine when its not as busy such as before the rush or after the rush then chances of accidental cc are fewer or hopeful nil. Your more expensive restaurants with a culinary chef are always your best bet since almost everything is made from scratch and they know exactly what goes into every item. My fine dining chef just ordered me some chestnut flour that he's excited about, I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet...I'm not anything close to a chef :lol:

Kathy

Gluten free 3/08

Negative blood work/positive endoscopy

Fructose Malabsorption

Soy free

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter