Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

buckeyenc5

Rice Krispies?

I read in a gluten-free book that Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes are ok for Celiacs. But the ingredient list says Malt Flavoring, which is listed under the "foods to avoid list." Anyone know?

Also, I might be getting anal and a little overboard, but are canned vegetables that list spice ok? i bought crushed tomatoes to make pasta sauce and it has spices listed. It's tomatoes with garlic, and basil I think. Thanks

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I read in a gluten-free book that Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes are ok for Celiacs. But the ingredient list says Malt Flavoring, which is listed under the "foods to avoid list." Anyone know?

Also, I might be getting anal and a little overboard, but are canned vegetables that list spice ok? i bought crushed tomatoes to make pasta sauce and it has spices listed. It's tomatoes with garlic, and basil I think. Thanks

:o Throw that book OUT! Yes, you are correct Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes are not gluten free.

Here is a link that will be very helpful. It lists companies who will clearly list all forms of gluten (as in wheat, barley, malt and rye) so there is no worry about ingredients like Natural Flavors and Species.

http://www.glutenfreeindy.com/foodlists/in...donothidegluten

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Join eNewsletter

Rice Krispies and Corn Flakes are NOT OK. :( But garlic and basil are fine. :)

Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .

"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)

The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

Join eNewsletter

The Kellogg products are definitely off limits for us. There are rice crisp cereals and cereals which are flakes made from corn which are safe. Look in the organic products section at your store, since most of these cereals that do not use barley malt as a sweetener are organic. Expect to pay more than you would for the trademarked Kellogg products, but they are gluten-free and we can safely eat them.

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

Hi buckeyenc5,

Stay away from the Kelloggs' Rice Krispies, Corn Flakes. A no-no. When in doubt, always double check, by calling the 1-800# of the product. Better to be sure :) The only rice krispies cereal I have heard of, are Nature's Path and Gluten Free Pantry. Most cereals that are gluten free, have it labeled on the front of the box. I got some rice krispies (Nature's Path) $4.00 Canadian for a small box; for the rice krispies squares, or what I called "breakfast on the run" haha.

It's nice to hear, wowzer, that Chex does a gluten-free rice chex cereal. But, I think I'd call and ask if it is produced/packaged on a gluten-free production line. CC's are the problem. Some people get sick from the smallest speck of gluten. Depending on your gluten sensitivity levels. Best to be safe, than sick for a day.

44 yr old mom, SAHM (stay at home; aka a Retro Mama :D , 2 special needs kids dd 15yrs ds 4 yrs

Follows Compassion Rules "Treat others; they way you wish to be treated"

blood test negative: celiac However, doctor felt other factors in blood works warranted trying the gluten-free diet

April 7/08 Doctor confirms gluten intolerance/ remain gluten-free for 2 more months; and repeat tests

Gluten free since March 4/2008 (other than accidently, or unknown gluten used--- its a learning process, Gluten is everywhere!)

"People are like stained-glassed windows. Best viewed in the light!" unknown author

"I am only as strong as the coffee I drink, and the hairspray I use" :)

Join eNewsletter

Take a safe gluten free rice cake. Smash it into a bowl. = Rice cereal.

Re the seasoned tomato products... BEWARE. Do not use if it says "natural seasonings" or has maltodextrin. Do not assume your maltodextrin products are always corn based anymore in the US. I have seen some Contadina tomato products like seasoned tomato paste that now have wheat in them, so it's goodbye Contadina for me because I don't want to risk cross contamination. What in the world would possess a person formulating a product like that, used in scratch cooking, to contaminate it up with un necessary wheat and soy is totally beyond me.

Join eNewsletter

There are safe brands of crisp rice-style cereal and corn flakes.

Erewhon, a brand found in the health food stores, has a Crispy Brown Rice cereal (make sure you get the box labeled gluten-free).

Also Twice Rice, is a mix of crip rice and puffed rice with a touch of honey.

Nature's Path, also found in the health food stores, has a gluten-free Corn Flakes

Join eNewsletter

Do not assume your maltodextrin products are always corn based anymore in the US.

If it is wheat, it must be labeled as "wheat maltodextrin." This is not new.

Here is the relevant code:

USA Code of Federal Regulations

Sec. 184.1444 Maltodextrin

CAS Reg. No. 9050-36-6. It is a nonsweet nutritive saccharide polymer that consists of D-glucose units linked primarily by [alpha]-1-4 bonds and has a dextrose equivalent (DE) of less that 20. It is prepared as a white powder or concentrated solution by partial hydrolysis of cornstarch, potato starch or rice starch with safe and suitable acids and enzymes.

Note: FDA also permits the use of other starches including wheat. For example, if wheat is used it must be labeled "wheat maltodextrin".

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

buckeyenc5 --

I've tried a few gluten free cereals and my favorite one is Nature's Path Organic Corn Flakes.

I get Erewhon Organic Crispy Brown Rice gluten free cereal sometimes for a change. Also use it with Kraft Jet-Puffed marshmallows to make marshmallow crispy treats for something sweet every couple months.

Rebecca

Partial Gluten Free March 2007

Completely Gluten Free February 2008

Tapioca Starch/Flour Free April 2008

No MSG July 2008

Cut out Nitrates//Nitrites January 2009

Problems with Tomatoes and Potatoes -- Cut out Nightshades Aug '09

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter