Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sunshinen

Dh Without Celiac Gene?

Does anyone who does not have a major celiac gene have confirmed DH? I have a friend who is gluten "sensitive" but does not have the classic celiac gene. He recently cheated and three days later woke up with bumps that look like little bug bites with a water blister at the head. (The genetic test looked only for the classic "celiac" genes and not any for those for gluten intolerance.) I'm just wondering if DH is even a possibility to consider.

Gluten-Free since February 2006

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Does anyone who does not have a major celiac gene have confirmed DH? I have a friend who is gluten "sensitive" but does not have the classic celiac gene. He recently cheated and three days later woke up with bumps that look like little bug bites with a water blister at the head. (The genetic test looked only for the classic "celiac" genes and not any for those for gluten intolerance.) I'm just wondering if DH is even a possibility to consider.

DH usually shows up faster - my DH pops up within 30 minutes (which is handy, as I don't eat too much of the bad stuff!) I was told by my doctor that it is possible to have DH and not have the Celiac gene. I was diagnosed purely through the skin biopsy, nothing internal, and since I've been gluten-free for almost a year now, they don't want to go messing with my diet.

Also, DH is usually symmetrical - if it pops up on one elbow, it doesn't take long to pop up on the other. If it would make him feel better knowing for sure, he should make an appointment with a dermatologist and eat some wheat before he goes in to make sure he will be nice and rashy when he goes to see the doctor.

Yep. Me. I had it severely for many long miserable years. In my childhood I was told I had poison ivy 'in my blood stream' to explain why I would be covered summer and winter. After I went gluten free I would get the kind of breakouts you describe. At first they would appear in hours but after a couple of years gluten-free it now takes me about 3 to 4 days to get the one or two little blisters I now get. After folks have been gluten-free for a bit the antibodies leave the skin and the reaction can take longer to show up.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Me too-- I am DQ6 and DQ7. I have confirmed DH and it pops up within an hour, I would say, of getting glutened. I can pop up anywhere-- if it is on an arm, say, I can actually watch it form.

Does anyone who does not have a major celiac gene have confirmed DH?

Since the research has a ways to go regarding genetic sequences, the answer must be yes.

(And of course, the above posts show same)

Just last month, a study was published saying they'd found 7 more genetic "areas of interest" for celiac disease.

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

It is also interesting to know that many people who are diagnosed as celiac (via biopsy or dietary response or bloodwork) do not get the genetic test done and do not know what their genes are. If more people who are sick got the test, I think the ideas about the DQ2 and DQ8 genes, as well as the reported percentages, would change drastically.

Maybe your friend can get a biopsy with next rash and therefore a diagnosis. I was told that DH is considered a definitive celiac diagnosis.

Lisa

I just read at the www.thefooddoc.com site that some labs miss the celiac genes because they do not test the apha chains, thus missing the half DQ2 genes that some have there. He lists which labs do the whole test.

nora

gluten-free since may 06 after neg. biopsy symptoms went away and DH symptoms which I had since 03 got gradually better.

daughter officially diagnosed celiac and casein intolerant.

non-DQ2 or DQ8. Maybe DQ1? Updated: Yes, double DQ5

Hypothyroid since 2000, thyroxine first started to work well 06 on a low-carb and gluten-free diet

Lost 20 kg after going gluten-free and weighing 53 kg now. neg. biopsy for DH. Found out afterwards from this forum that it should have been taken during an outbreak but it was taken two weeks after. vitaminD was 57 nmol/l in may08)