Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

celiac-mommy

Calling All Bread Bakers!

I know the part where you sub in gluten-free flour blend and add xanthan gum, but do you think it will work? Anything else I should add--gelatin, etc....

"Sourdough" bread from Good Eats

17 1/2 ounces bread flour, plus extra for shaping

1/4 teaspoon active-dry yeast

2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

12 ounces filtered water

2 tablespoons cornmeal

Whisk together the flour, yeast and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the water and stir until combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to sit at room temperature for 19 hours.

After 19 hours, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface. Punch down the dough and turn it over onto itself a couple of times. Cover with a tea towel and allow to rest 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, shape dough into a ball. Coat hands with flour if needed to prevent sticking. Sprinkle the tea towel with half of the cornmeal and lay the dough on top of it, with the seam side down. Sprinkle the top of the dough with the other half of the cornmeal and cover with the towel. Allow to rise for another 2 to 3 hours or until dough has doubled in size.

Oven baking:

While the dough is rising the second time, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Place a 4 to 5-quart Dutch oven in the oven while it preheats. Once the dough is ready, carefully transfer it to the preheated Dutch oven. Cover and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the lid and bake another 15 minutes or until the bread reaches an internal temperature of 210 to 212 degrees F. Transfer the bread to a cooling rack and allow to cool at least 15 minutes before serving.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It looks basically like a yeast bread, only instead of starting with the usual amount of yeast, it starts with less, and just allows more time for the yeast to multiply. So based on that I'd say it would probably work more or less the same as any gluten-free yeast bread recipe.

Are you trying to cut your consumption of yeast, or just like the taste of sourdough?

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I'm just trying new recipes, and saw this show, the bread looked amazing and although I've become very proficient baking quickbreads, cookies, muffins, etc... Yeast breads have been something I've yet to master and it's driving me crazy!! I will probably just have to try it out and see what happens. I was just thinking if any of the yeast-bakers out there had any ideas... Thanks!! :D

Rachelle 20dance.gif

-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

There are quite a few threads about doing this over on delphi forum celiac forum.

I think there was some discussion about the punching down of the dough. I can't remember exactly, but many people were experimenting with this and had good success. I think they had the best success by skipping the punching down step.

Here is the Link to one of the discussions. Artesian bread

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

Positive Bloodwork January 2007

Positive Biopsy Feb. 2007

Gluten Free since January 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0201

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,9)

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to try to do it tonight or tomorrow night, I will let you know how it turns out. My kids haven't minded the gluten-free bread too much, but now that my husband is gluten-free, he "needs" me to come up with something edible for him.... ;)

Rachelle 20dance.gif

-gluten-free since 1/06