Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

donnal

Bad Taste And Blurry Vision

I've been gluten-free since mid-april and have noticed that a taste in my mouth, which would always be there after I ate but much worse after breads or ice creams, has gone since I've been gluten-free! I would actually have to brush my teeth or chew mint gum (couldn't handle mint candies) to try to get rid of it. I had asked my GI doc a couple of times over the years as well as my GP and they had no answer (my lactose breath test came back OK as did my EGD--no biop--and blood work so they had no test results to go on).

Another interesting improvement has been my vision. For about 2 yrs it has been blurry to varying degrees and I even had my lenses changed twice, which didn't help a bit. I was starting to be concerned lest I has early-stage, mild MS (my mom had severe MS, ending up bedfast) but whenever I am strictly gluten-free (sometimes--not often!--I imbibe or have unknowns, since I seem to be sensitive and not "true" intolerant/celiac) it is amazingly better. So I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed that sort of thing. Incidentally, one of the things driving me to be gluten-free, along with the bowel issues (labeled by docs as IBS-C) was that my mom had that autoimmune disease and my dad is a heart patient (inflammatory process) so it seems prudent, since there are so many other good grains/legumes, to go gluten-free and maybe avoide those family "inheritences"?

By the way, my choesterol is high--will gluten-free eventually help with that? I am talking total being around 250 and HDL only 50--I am thin and quite active and overall try to eat healthily (am actually a cardiac rehab nurse, ironically). Thanks for any input. I'm almost 55 y/o if that has any bearing.

Donna Edinger

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I did also notice an improvement in vision, in the one eye which needed it. Plus I think it has some relation to my B12 supplement.

As for the cholesterol, Google homocysteine, and that should lead you to some information which may help. One thing you'll read about is how methylcobalamin (B12) and folic acid help bring homocysteine down, which in turn relieves the stress on the liver (which produces cholesterol in response to elevated homocysteine). Also, I've read cinnamon has been found to lower cholesterol, and it is suggested to use 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to make a cup of tea, twice daily. Obviously, if you can avoid sugar, that would help, so I'd recommend Stevia instead. I like the pure powder, and use it as my only sweetener.

HTH

A spherical meteorite 10 km in diameter traveling at 20 km/s has the kinetic energy equal to the calories in 550,000,000,000,000,000 Twinkies.

I've been gluten-free since mid-april and have noticed that a taste in my mouth, which would always be there after I ate but much worse after breads or ice creams, has gone since I've been gluten-free! I would actually have to brush my teeth or chew mint gum (couldn't handle mint candies) to try to get rid of it. I had asked my GI doc a couple of times over the years as well as my GP and they had no answer (my lactose breath test came back OK as did my EGD--no biop--and blood work so they had no test results to go on).

Another interesting improvement has been my vision. For about 2 yrs it has been blurry to varying degrees and I even had my lenses changed twice, which didn't help a bit. I was starting to be concerned lest I has early-stage, mild MS (my mom had severe MS, ending up bedfast) but whenever I am strictly gluten-free (sometimes--not often!--I imbibe or have unknowns, since I seem to be sensitive and not "true" intolerant/celiac) it is amazingly better. So I was just wondering if anyone else has noticed that sort of thing. Incidentally, one of the things driving me to be gluten-free, along with the bowel issues (labeled by docs as IBS-C) was that my mom had that autoimmune disease and my dad is a heart patient (inflammatory process) so it seems prudent, since there are so many other good grains/legumes, to go gluten-free and maybe avoide those family "inheritences"?

By the way, my choesterol is high--will gluten-free eventually help with that? I am talking total being around 250 and HDL only 50--I am thin and quite active and overall try to eat healthily (am actually a cardiac rehab nurse, ironically). Thanks for any input. I'm almost 55 y/o if that has any bearing.

Describe the taste. I used to get a breath smell. It smelled like when I've caught whiffs of chlorine and ammonia ......ammonium chloride, a deadly combination.

I also had blurred vision. It went away with my diet. But my diet eliminates gluten, raw milk, sweets, fruit, chlorine and (thanks to contributors here) nightshades.

Well, it's hard to describe the taste--I'd often say it was like a rat crawled up and died in my mouth (but can't speak from experience, having never had that happen :D )--my husb said my breath didn't smell "that bad" but it was really nauseating to me. Like old food, or something. Not really a sour taste, more like spoiled. Does that ring a bell?

Donna Edinger

Acetone breath I believe they call it. Diabetes breath.

GLUTEN FREE 4/4/08. LEGUME/SOY FREE 5/15/08. YEAST FREE. CORN FREE. GRAIN FREE. DAIRY FREE. I am eating all meats, eggs, veggies, fruits, squash, nuts and seeds. I just keep getting better every day. :)

Do not let any of the advice given here substitute for good medical care. Let this forum be a catalyst for research. Find support for any post in here before you believe it to be true. Arm yourself with knowledge. Let your doctor be your assistant. Listen to their advice, but follow your own instincts as well. Miracles are within your reach. You can heal!