Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MaryJones2

Anyone Have Chickens?

So, last week we got 3 dozen baby chicks. They are awesome and doing quite well. Problem is I can't find chicken starter/feed that doesn't contain some kind of gluten grain and was hoping someone had a solution. I have had an all too familar knot in my stomach that appeared shortly after their arrival and I haven't left my house or changed my diet so I am certain their feed is what is causing it. The fine flour-like dust from the feed coats everything and I'm just not comfortable having it around my house or on my animals. Does anyone know of a brand of feed that is gluten-free? I wouldn't mind making my own as long as it's nutritionally balanced.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Here's one: http://www.mypetchicken.com/Chicken-Suppli...-Feed-P413.aspx

Unfortunately, it looks like their others contain gluten. But the starter looks safe.

When they are older, you can feed them scraps from your kitchen and let them free range (if possible).

That is alot of chicks to start with! We have 6 chicks that are about 2.5 months old. I feed them regular stuff from the feed store, but we keep it outside. And I wash my hands when I am done feeding them. I usually scoop it out so there is no dust flying around.

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

Yeah we have a lot of chickens! We eat a lot of eggs so we wanted to make sure we had enough and then several family members wanted eggs (we do a lot of bartering in my extended family) so when we added it up 36 seemed to be the golden number. My grandparents and neighbors always kept chickens so I'm pretty familar with the adult birds but the chicks are so tiny and fragile!

Thanks for the link. That should keep me going for a bit.

Here's one: http://www.mypetchicken.com/Chicken-Suppli...-Feed-P413.aspx

Unfortunately, it looks like their others contain gluten. But the starter looks safe.

When they are older, you can feed them scraps from your kitchen and let them free range (if possible).

That is alot of chicks to start with! We have 6 chicks that are about 2.5 months old. I feed them regular stuff from the feed store, but we keep it outside. And I wash my hands when I am done feeding them. I usually scoop it out so there is no dust flying around.

MP - celiac for 10 years

We have 11 chickens ranging in age from 2 weeks to 1.5 years. We haven't used any special food, simply because it is not available near us. We just use Purina chick starter and Deyoung for layer pellets. The chicken food is kept outside, and I either rope my husband into doing the feeding, or I sterilize myself after I do it. What kind of bedding are you using in your brooder? Most of the dust they make is from feathers/dander and their bedding. We just moved our last set outside, and I am so happy to have the stinky little buggers out of the laundry room! The 2 happiest days of having chicks are when you bring them home, and when you move them out of the house. :lol:

My husband runs a chicken forum (linked in my profile). You should stop by if you are so inclined. Plenty of people there that understand the addiction.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

I used to feed my pullets cracked corn and leftover food from whatever we had for dinner.

They also loved fruit... esp grapes and melons :) and apples.

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

LOL! Right now ours are in our basement garage. We started out using paper towels in the brooder and now have them on wood shavings which has added to the dust. They are adorable but I'll be very happy to see them move out to the coop. I too rope my husband into feeding all of the animals and know he would take care of it but I am just not comfortable having ground gluten grains floating around my house.

Thanks for the tip on the forum. I'll check it out.

We have 11 chickens ranging in age from 2 weeks to 1.5 years. We haven't used any special food, simply because it is not available near us. We just use Purina chick starter and Deyoung for layer pellets. The chicken food is kept outside, and I either rope my husband into doing the feeding, or I sterilize myself after I do it. What kind of bedding are you using in your brooder? Most of the dust they make is from feathers/dander and their bedding. We just moved our last set outside, and I am so happy to have the stinky little buggers out of the laundry room! The 2 happiest days of having chicks are when you bring them home, and when you move them out of the house. :lol:

My husband runs a chicken forum (linked in my profile). You should stop by if you are so inclined. Plenty of people there that understand the addiction.

MP - celiac for 10 years

So, last week we got 3 dozen baby chicks. They are awesome and doing quite well. Problem is I can't find chicken starter/feed that doesn't contain some kind of gluten grain and was hoping someone had a solution. I have had an all too familar knot in my stomach that appeared shortly after their arrival and I haven't left my house or changed my diet so I am certain their feed is what is causing it. The fine flour-like dust from the feed coats everything and I'm just not comfortable having it around my house or on my animals. Does anyone know of a brand of feed that is gluten-free? I wouldn't mind making my own as long as it's nutritionally balanced.

Have you looked into raising them free range? my dad has an organic farm and raises free range chickens. could be an option