Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest taweavmo3

One More Quick Question....do I Need New Pans?

Guest taweavmo3

I don't have non-stick cookware, everything I currently have is stainless steel. Food sticks to these pans pretty bad, no matter how much I scrub. Is it possible to get all the gluten off of stainless steel or no?

I read in Kids with Celiac that you should have high quality non-stick cookware. What's everyone's take on this and what do you all do?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

A couple materials are bad: teflon (especially), plastic, wood (such as in wooden spoons), etc. With steel, you can get new pots/pans if you want, but you don't have to. I personally would, but if you make sure that it's ALWAYS cleaned very well, you should be okay. Things you should replace:

- Collander (no matter what material it's made out of, it's too difficult to make sure all the crumbs are out of it.

- Anything wooden, such as a wooden spoon.

- Spatula

I would recommend that you have a set of gluten-free pots/pans and a set of regular--that can be easily distinguished between--but it's not essential.

Great question, I was wondering that myself. I must have posted at same time celiac3270 did, thanks for the answer.

I've changed collanders, wooden and plastic utensils, and we have a separate butter dish for "his" butter...but other than that everything is the same.

Bridget

Oh, that reminded me....separate condiments are good...it's too easy to forget that you can't double-dip on the jelly/butter/peanut butter with a knife that's already touched regular bread....

The one thing that my nutritionist said to me was to change my Toaster. I have a seperate one from the rest of my faimly. but the collander and anything wooden are great ideas also. :)

I make sure to label my containers of butter, jelly and such. I just use a magic marker and put my name on them or something silly like "NO GLUTEN ALLOWED". At my parents house I also get one of the drawers in the fridge to put "my stuff" so it doesn't get mixed up with everyone elses.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Yes :)....I usually write with a Sharpie on the lid or label: GLUTEN FREE or gluten-free or celiac3270'S...although one time, on a peanut butter lid I wrote "celiac3270's...All Mine!!! Hahaha!!" [the hahaha is an evil laugh]....yeah...that was in one of my weird moments :lol:

And a new toaster is ESSENTIAL. If you buy nothing else new, buy a new toaster.

I actually used a sharpie to write Gluten Free all over our new toaster for my daughter. Even then when my sis was babysitting she accidentally put a regular waffle in it. She bought us a new toaster before we got home. :) Sent her husband out. So sweet! If we double dip I use a sharpie to write contaminated on the jar and lid. I wonder if that scares my visiting family. "why do they have contaminated stuff in their fridge?" :lol:

I love the squeezable bottles for condiments...mayo, jelly etc. But with just me and my dh cooking for now it's easy. We spoon everything out.

It's amazing how we adapt for our kiddos health huh?

Nicole

I actually used a sharpie to write Gluten Free all over our new toaster for my daughter. Even then when my sis was babysitting she accidentally put a regular waffle in it. She bought us a new toaster before we got home. :) Sent her husband out. So sweet! If we double dip I use a sharpie to write contaminated on the jar and lid. I wonder if that scares my visiting family. "why do they have contaminated stuff in their fridge?" :lol:

I love the squeezable bottles for condiments...mayo, jelly etc. But with just me and my dh cooking for now it's easy. We spoon everything out.

It's amazing how we adapt for our kiddos health huh?

Nicole

lol...that's great :D. I've done the same thing--with a few containers of Duncan Hines icing that were used for regular cupcakes for my brother's birthday...I wrote contaminated all over them with a Sharpie, just like you do. I also write gluten-free or Gluten-Free or celiac3270's Only on certain things that I keep in a gluten-free cabinet (peanut butter, etc).