Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cath724

Fell Off The Wagon And Don't Want Back On...

I can totally relate. This diet is such a pain. If my symptoms weren't so severe, I would be back on gluten myself. I even think about it still, and I could hardly leave the house because of the uncontrollable D. How many people smoke? The consequences of smoking are more serious than celiac. How many people don't exercise and are overweight? How many people drink way too much alcohol, drive crazy, do drugs? You are no different than all of them. My doctor said that not many celiacs stick to the diet. I have no choice, and maybe it is better that way.

There is a gentleman that comes on here that has to eat through a feeding tube. So when I am struggling with this diet and want to whine I just think of him. Aleast I can still taste my food so who am I to complain, I should be thankful that I caught it in time that no real serious damage was done.

Yes there are times I would love to have a little powder sugar dounut or maybe go out to eat and just order whatever I want, but I can't and I feel better for it. I have learned how to make my own gluten free dairy free sauces which my whole family loves. My baking is improving, our dinners have been more tastey, not the same old boring meals as before.

My health is slowing improving, I have lost 50lbs and the longer I am gluten free ( 1 year now) I am sure it will get easier. I know we all need to vent and whine once in a while, but remember there are always others who are worse off then you are so be thankfull for what you do have.

I live in a tiny town and I have found a couple of options. If I eat at the steak place I have the salad bar and bring my own dressing in my purse. They don't care at all. Steak and baked potatoes are great as long as I tell them to leave the Texas Toast off the plate. At the local mexican food place I can have nachos, and at the BBQ place I can have the meat and beans but not the potato salad, and at Dairy Queen I can have French Vanilla Moo Lates and hot fudge sundays with strawberries but don't add the nuts as there is some kind of coating on it. If you call your local restraunts and talk with the MGR tell them about gluten and ask if there is anything you can eat you will usually find they are eager to help and will look on the ingrediant list and read it back to you. That's how I found out all the things I could have. Ok now I want a sunday. HA!

I also found it very hard to give up gluten I don't think there is anyone who doesn't. One thing that helped me was someones discription of the poision shelf that her family keeps the gluten food on. I had not thought of it as poision but that is exactly what it is to us. If someone put poision in your food and you knew about it would you try it thinking it might not be very much in there and I will probably be ok. NO you wouldn't. Try changing the way you look at gluten and hopefully it won't be so tempting. It was the turning point for me. I have found just smelling it is now good enough for me but those girl scout cookies in front of everyplace is getting to me. Good thing they are not around for very long. :rolleyes:

I have lots of receipes for homemade sauces and dressings what are you fond of?

Yellow Rose

I think it would be incredibly hard to stick to the GFD if you are asymptomatic.

No, really, it's not!

I did two one-time gluten challenges after going gluten-free, and didn't react at all to either one.

That was 2 1/2 years ago. I have not been the least tempted to have gluten. I know too many people with lupus, fibro, RA, IBS, etc, and have seen where they end up. And there are enough good recipes out there (most on this site!) so that I don't feel deprived. I can make anything I want gluten-free whenever I want--and without those awful cravings that I used to get with gluten.

I LIKE being able to get out of bed and feel good. Why on earth would I throw that away?

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):
    Celiac.com Sponsor (A17):

Celiac.com Sponsors (A17):

• Forum Discussions

Chances are if you have lumps on your body for years and the Dr. isn't concerned they're probably not lymph nodes. Chronically swollen lymph nodes would be something every Dr. would be concerned with.  Chances are you just have cysts ...
    It's different  for everyone, it can be a month or maybe a year. Most probably within a few months. This is assuming the symptoms are in fact related to gluten, which they may not be. 
    Hi Laura I'm so pleased you found answers.  This is very encouraging.  Seven years on from my own diagnosis I wish I could have some vitamin and mineral screening, I'm sure I'm still deficient. Cristiana