Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thleensd

Educating Doctos

I was diagnosed last week. Like most of you, what I have to say is, FINALLY!!!!!

...and then a whole bunch of much more colorful, much less appropriate things for the DOZENS of doctors who diagnosed everything from "nothing" to "take some metamucil" to "let's check for stroke and brain tumor" to "see a shrink". Even my naturopathic doc (who was the one that called it first) didn't tell me I needed to stay on gluten to be tested.

I'm looking forward to good health (trying to be patient!) but in the meanwhile wonder what I can do to help educate doctors. I know there are some big Celiac organizations....but what can *I* do? I've already started the educate-everyone-I-talk-to campaign.

Can someone tell me what is being done to get the info out to the medical community?

Thanks.

Two weeks gluten free down. A lifetime to go. A long, healthy one. =)

Diagnosed 2/12/09 by biopsy after years of anemia, neuropathy, dizziness, brain fog, pain and more.

Negative blood tests (following gluten light diet)

Still healing with time, harmony, and good food.

Grain-free 1/11/11

Blogging Gluten-Free

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I was diagnosed last week.... I'm looking forward to good health (trying to be patient!) but in the meanwhile wonder what I can do to help educate doctors. I know there are some big Celiac organizations....but what can *I* do? I've already started the educate-everyone-I-talk-to campaign.

Doctors are about as hard to educate as lawyers--both groups know everything (I know, I worked for both). About all we can do is educate our own doctors and spread the word as much as we can. It is pretty hard to combat the AMA, the medical schools and "established practice".

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973

Lactose free 1990

(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's

Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004

Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007

Soy free March 2008

Nightshade free Feb 2009

Citric acid free June 2009

Potato starch free July 2009

(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009

Legume free March 2010

Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Haha! I know how you feel.. I keep talking and talking, but I find that visuals help the most.

Celiac.org and celiaccentral.org both have fliers or brochures that you can print out. I think it's celiaccentral.org aka the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness who actually has a printout specifically geared towards those pesky, stubborn, meanie doctors. Okay, they may not be meanies, but they sure feel that way when you're convinced that it is NOT "all in your head".

Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck spreading the word to the medical community!

=)

I was diagnosed last week. Like most of you, what I have to say is, FINALLY!!!!!

...and then a whole bunch of much more colorful, much less appropriate things for the DOZENS of doctors who diagnosed everything from "nothing" to "take some metamucil" to "let's check for stroke and brain tumor" to "see a shrink". Even my naturopathic doc (who was the one that called it first) didn't tell me I needed to stay on gluten to be tested.

I'm looking forward to good health (trying to be patient!) but in the meanwhile wonder what I can do to help educate doctors. I know there are some big Celiac organizations....but what can *I* do? I've already started the educate-everyone-I-talk-to campaign.

Can someone tell me what is being done to get the info out to the medical community?

Thanks.

Two weeks gluten free down. A lifetime to go. A long, healthy one. =)

Celiac Disease - 5/2007

Scoliosis Surgery - 12/1997

Arthritis

Kyphoscoliosis

Degenerative Disc Disease

Enlarged Pituitary Gland

Vitamin D deficient

Folic Acid deficient

Iron deficient

... and loving life!!