This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gallbladder/ncgi

nifer731

nifer731 Newbie

I recently ended up in the ER twice with severe abdominal pain that wrapped around my right side into my back, they suspected my gallbaldder and did an ultrasound but it was negative for gallstones. I then went to have a nuclear HIDA scan and it came back that my gallbladder is not functioning at all! The doctor recommends removal and I am scheduled for surgery next Friday.

Then this past week I read an article in a health related magazine about a woman who had had a plethra of issues and was finally diagnosed with NCGI, Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance. So many of the issues that I have, no related to the gallbladder, are exactly the same as this womans. I have not been tested for celiacs disease, but am wondering if all this has played in a role in my gallbladder not functioning.

Some of my other symptoms:

IBS with constipation, bloating

PMS

Lack of energy

insomnia

Sound like NCGI???

Any info. is appreciated!!

Jen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Libbyanne Newbie
I recently ended up in the ER twice with severe abdominal pain that wrapped around my right side into my back, they suspected my gallbaldder and did an ultrasound but it was negative for gallstones. I then went to have a nuclear HIDA scan and it came back that my gallbladder is not functioning at all! The doctor recommends removal and I am scheduled for surgery next Friday.

Then this past week I read an article in a health related magazine about a woman who had had a plethra of issues and was finally diagnosed with NCGI, Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance. So many of the issues that I have, no related to the gallbladder, are exactly the same as this womans. I have not been tested for celiacs disease, but am wondering if all this has played in a role in my gallbladder not functioning.

Some of my other symptoms:

IBS with constipation, bloating

PMS

Lack of energy

insomnia

Sound like NCGI???

Any info. is appreciated!!

Jen

Jen - I want to give this advice but keep in mind I am no doctor and everyone's body is different so don't only take my word. If I were you (or if I could go back in time) I would do some more digging, get some more opinions before removing the gall bladder. I had mine taken out about a year and a half ago and now that I've recently found out (or at least am under the impression) that I have a Gluten Intolerance, I'm not sure the surgery was really necessary. On top of that my recovery was long and...umm not comfortable. I don't mean from the actual surgery, I went home the same day so I was fine with that part. It was for the next 3 months when almost everything I ate literally went straight through me. It was awful :( . Of course, everyone's reaction to this surgery is different - I kept going back to the doctors after surgery because I was sure something else was wrong and I was told a couple times that it could be a year before I was normal again...before my body was used to not having the extra bile to break down food. Ugh. I had an endoscopy afterward too but they saw nothing except acid buildup and so they prescribed an antacid (of course I had also been throwing up quite a bit so that would explain the acid...)

I've been meaning to call the hospital to get my results from the biopsy taken during the endoscopy and see if they tested me for Celiacs at that time (my blood tests were negative). Maybe you could start with the endoscopy. It's a pretty simple procedure. Again this is just my opinion. I remember the doctors making the surgery sound so harmless and very easy recovery. It wasn't until after that I found out what they were leaving out.

Good luck with whatever you decide. And feel free to ask me any questions!

Libbyanne Newbie
Jen - I want to give this advice but keep in mind I am no doctor and everyone's body is different so don't only take my word. If I were you (or if I could go back in time) I would do some more digging, get some more opinions before removing the gall bladder. I had mine taken out about a year and a half ago and now that I've recently found out (or at least am under the impression) that I have a Gluten Intolerance, I'm not sure the surgery was really necessary. On top of that my recovery was long and...umm not comfortable. I don't mean from the actual surgery, I went home the same day so I was fine with that part. It was for the next 3 months when almost everything I ate literally went straight through me. It was awful :( . Of course, everyone's reaction to this surgery is different - I kept going back to the doctors after surgery because I was sure something else was wrong and I was told a couple times that it could be a year before I was normal again...before my body was used to not having the extra bile to break down food. Ugh. I had an endoscopy afterward too but they saw nothing except acid buildup and so they prescribed an antacid (of course I had also been throwing up quite a bit so that would explain the acid...)

I've been meaning to call the hospital to get my results from the biopsy taken during the endoscopy and see if they tested me for Celiacs at that time (my blood tests were negative). Maybe you could start with the endoscopy. It's a pretty simple procedure. Again this is just my opinion. I remember the doctors making the surgery sound so harmless and very easy recovery. It wasn't until after that I found out what they were leaving out.

Good luck with whatever you decide. And feel free to ask me any questions!

Also, (I tried to edit my reply but I don't think it worked <_< ) I didn't have any stones either! Ultra sound was negative for stones but the HIDA scan showed my gall bladder was just functioning at a very low level. I had very sharp pains below my ribs (especially when I would laugh) I had been given every excuse from the doctors from the pain being because I wore an underwire bra to fibromyalgia. :unsure:

debmidge Rising Star

I had gallbladder out 8/07.

I had calcified stones on the interior lining of the gallbladder - maybe I passed one here and there, but they were not the prime problem.

My gallbladder was calcified and diseased and it had to be removed.

My symptoms were: pain wrapped around my right ribcage, right side ribcage sore to touch, indigestion, gas, bloating, diarrhea, intestinal pains, intermittent upper back pain on right side, sometimes on left side (refractory) occasional gallbladder "attack" if I ate fried food.

Had endoscopy last week, I am being treated now for gastritis as many of the above symptoms lasted even after the gallbladder was removed. I believe I have had this gastritis since 2007 and the gallbladder obscured it. I am on Nexium now and feeling somewhat better after 1 week on Nexium. I do not know if I have to take Nexium forever. I am also on 1/2 dose of Immodium and 1 Packet of Questran (to control bile salts in gut). Questran may be forever too. Too early to tell.

During endoscopy I was biopsied for H. Pylori and celiac disease- don't know test results yet.

Archived