SLB5757

Eliminated All "fast Foods"

Rate this topic

Just wanted to make a quick mention of my recent findings as a "newbie".

I went gluten-free mid-May and have been getting progressively better. Although Iw ould still have occasional stomach issues and bouts with "glutening". This last week I elmiminated all fast food and restaurant food - and I am almost feeling 100percent better!!

I now realize that trying to eat anything at McDonalds or Taco Bell was causing my issue. Even if the food listed no gluten - I was still becoming sick. At McDonalds I would have eggs and a sausage patty, and at Taco bell I would have rice, a tostada shell with chicken and cheese. I was still reacting after eating those foods. When I stick to cooking at home, and nothing else - I am virtually pain/reaction free.

I think that most anyone just starting out on a gluten-free diet should seriously consider not trying any of the "convienience" or "processed in a facility" foods for quite a while. Give your body time to heal, and stick to whole foods such as rice, potatoes, fruits, veggies, nuts...etc. etc. etc. I do get "gluten free" items such as Pamelas cookies - but am not buying any other processed foods unless the label states "gluten free".

I know there are many on this board who can handle fast food - but I just wanted to share my two cents. If you are still reacting at all - just cut out the fast food, what do you have to lose by trying??

I'm glad you're feeling better. I don't do fast food, for me it's chips. I know I have to give them up. When I eat them it's back to drinking the miralax. But dang I hate giving those up. They should be gluten free. Several people on this site warned about shared facilities but I still just don't want to give up my chips.

I'm thinking that when my kids are grown I'm going to move to someplace with bike paths, live theater, museums and gluten free food! Until then does anyone have a caveman diet book they would recommend?

I'm glad you're feeling better. I don't do fast food, for me it's chips. I know I have to give them up. When I eat them it's back to drinking the miralax. But dang I hate giving those up. They should be gluten free. Several people on this site warned about shared facilities but I still just don't want to give up my chips.

I'm thinking that when my kids are grown I'm going to move to someplace with bike paths, live theater, museums and gluten free food! Until then does anyone have a caveman diet book they would recommend?

Try the Lay's Stax, they're made in a gluten-free facility. They're certainly not health food, but they're yummy!

Just wanted to make a quick mention of my recent findings as a "newbie".

I went gluten-free mid-May and have been getting progressively better. Although Iw ould still have occasional stomach issues and bouts with "glutening". This last week I elmiminated all fast food and restaurant food - and I am almost feeling 100percent better!!

I now realize that trying to eat anything at McDonalds or Taco Bell was causing my issue. Even if the food listed no gluten - I was still becoming sick. At McDonalds I would have eggs and a sausage patty, and at Taco bell I would have rice, a tostada shell with chicken and cheese. I was still reacting after eating those foods. When I stick to cooking at home, and nothing else - I am virtually pain/reaction free.

I think that most anyone just starting out on a gluten-free diet should seriously consider not trying any of the "convienience" or "processed in a facility" foods for quite a while. Give your body time to heal, and stick to whole foods such as rice, potatoes, fruits, veggies, nuts...etc. etc. etc. I do get "gluten free" items such as Pamelas cookies - but am not buying any other processed foods unless the label states "gluten free".

I know there are many on this board who can handle fast food - but I just wanted to share my two cents. If you are still reacting at all - just cut out the fast food, what do you have to lose by trying??

I am so glad you are feeling so much better. Your advice is good advice about fast food and the 'processed in a facility' warning. Some can handle these things after they heal but there are others of us who can't and there is no way to know which group you are in until you have healed completely and are able to challenge them.