G-freegal12

The gluten-free Diet Byelisibeth Hasselback

Rate this topic

This book is great! She tells you a whole bunch of gluten derivitives and where to find them. She also gives a card which you can make copies of and tell your waiter to give to the chef. It explains about you allergy and how to avoid giving you glutenized food :D The book also explains how not to be a "party pooper" (pun not intended) :rolleyes: This book rocks. What do you guys think?

This was the first book I read when I knew I had to go gluten-free. When I read the first chapter I cried because I linked so many of symptoms to being glutenized-I finally had answers and could relate to so much of the book. That was a little over a month ago. It was informative and encouraging, giving good advice in how to deal with social aspects of being gluten free. I gave the book to my mom to better understand what it means to be gluten free and how I can only have certain foods. Hopefully this will help her with her questions in how to cook/bake when I am home and for holidays. While this transition has been difficult and a huge challenge, I felt that reading Elisabeth's book was a great start in the journey.

I have been gluten free for 9 years, and read a lot of books, her book did not impress me.

Have you read "The Gluten Free Bible", or "Healthier Without Wheat", much better books, much better info? Also, "Gluten Free For Dummies" is a great book.

I liked the Gluten Free Bible best. I read that one first so Gluten Free for Dummies seemed very redundant by the time I got to it...

ive been waiting for a copy of this one at the library to compare

Dr. Peter Green's book is very good too: Celiac Disease: A Hidden Epidemic. I got this at the library. If you ask your library for a certain book and they do not have it, they can call out to other libraries for it.

Many of the books are redundant, some stand out. The Gluten Free Bible is one that stands out, as does Healthier Without Wheat.

Often times, if I really liked the book, I go to Amazon and check for used books, they are always in very good shape, and a decent price.

I have been gluten free for 9 years, and read a lot of books, her book did not impress me.

Have you read "The Gluten Free Bible", or "Healthier Without Wheat", much better books, much better info? Also, "Gluten Free For Dummies" is a great book.

I have not read any of these books but will try to get them from the library. Thank you for the suggestions!

DEFINITELY read "Healthier Without Wheat"!! It's an amazing book with a lot of information and insight regarding gluten-intolerance. It provides a detailed analysis of the history and current research on gluten-intolerance as well as the signs, symptoms, and treatments of the problem.

Very helpful!! :)

This book is great! She tells you a whole bunch of gluten derivitives and where to find them. She also gives a card which you can make copies of and tell your waiter to give to the chef. It explains about you allergy and how to avoid giving you glutenized food :D The book also explains how not to be a "party pooper" (pun not intended) :rolleyes: This book rocks. What do you guys think?

EH's dining card includes many items which are gluten-free and leaves out many that are not. You'd be much better off using the more accurate cards sold by Triumph Dining (http://www.triumphdining.com/).

Kate

Thank you for the advice on books! I still like my dining card though. :blink: