pufffee

Lactose Free How Long Before I Feel Better?

Rate this topic

Hi

I have not been diagnosed properly for Celiac but my mom has it and it seems I may have it or at least a gluten sensitivity. My only symtoms are bloating, gurgling stomach noises, and when I do have bowel movement it is always D or at least not solid(I go once a day at night). I figured I mine as well start doing a Lactose free as well. I told my dr's numerous times that Milk and cheese are big parts of my life. I do not drink soda and other drinks, I would rather drink Milk and has so since I was younger. The first scheduled rounds of blood work were done and they never did lactose test!, then they finally did test and unknown to me they only did a genectic type of blood work. Not the test where you actually drink Lactose solution. I had Hydrogen breath test to test for SIBO not lactose but I did blow consistent hydrogen numbers throughout the 5 hours, just no spikes showing SIBO. So instead of doing more tests I figured I would start lactose free diet. I am only in day 2. but not sure when I should feel better if in fact I am LI. I was told lactose can be out of system in 6-8hrs and I have seen sites where it takes days or weeks? I also see sites where people actually suffer withdrawls during first couple of days? Any help please : )

You may be casien intolerant rather than just lactose. Are you avoiding casien as well as lactose? It isn't easy because it is in so much but you may want to consider dropping dairy in both forms.

You may be casien intolerant rather than just lactose. Are you avoiding casien as well as lactose? It isn't easy because it is in so much but you may want to consider dropping dairy in both forms.

Casein seems to be more skin related and other things like fever symptoms. I do not have any of these?

Casein seems to be more skin related and other things like fever symptoms. I do not have any of these?

Casein intolerance can cause a wide variety of symptoms. The best way to tell if they are causing yours is to drop it for a while and see what happens. Are you gluten free? Your symptoms could also be gluten.

Casein intolerance can cause a wide variety of symptoms. The best way to tell if they are causing yours is to drop it for a while and see what happens. Are you gluten free? Your symptoms could also be gluten.

Yes Gluten free for over a month

I suggest you stay off dairy for at least a month. You would need to read labels and avoid things with casein, lactose, whey and milk. The reason I say a month is that when you make a big change in your diet, your gut basteria adjust to the changed food supply. Which can cause symptoms in itself. This is just my opinion though. Watch out for meds and probiotics with dairy also.