This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Amenorrhea And Celiac

wantsomedammpizza

wantsomedammpizza Rookie

I had been using oral contraception for about five years, until I stopped in July. Here it is November, and I am still experiencing "post-pill amenorrhea," or so I thought. Hubby and I are using condoms, until my cycle returns, and have had nothing but negative pregnancy tests. I haven't had a single period since withdrawl bleeding immediately after my last pill. If I follow the gluten-free diet, I should be just as fertile as any other woman, right? I have been a normal weight for almost 8 months now.

I spoke with a doctor, who suggested I just wait it out (not that I trust those boogers anyway, but that is a whole other topic). What are my options? Should I see a chiropractor, or midwife, or just keep waiting?

I hope I am not getting too personal, but did anyone else have trouble comming off the pill, even when following the gluten-free diet? I have no idea if this is just the after effects of the pill or Celiac.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

momxyz Contributor

I hope someone answers; I have similar concerns about my daughter.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I didn't have the problem, but from what I understand, most doctors are going to want to give your body at least 6 months to figure out that it needs to be ovulating again. At the same time, I would probably be wondering why my hormones continued to be wacky too. If you want to see someone on the issue now, I would suggest looking for either a certified professional midwife (not most certified nurse midwives, who are also great, but do have a more western take on medicine because they are RN's before they are CNM's) or a naturopath (or a midwife who is a naturopath as well - if you're in the Puget Sound region, I can even recommend mine, though she does tend to be pretty booked). They are less likely to prescribe pharmaceuticals, but may suggest a very gentle approach to helping the body support a natural cycle. This may be less likely to work, but more likely to be accessible to you right now, rather than in February.

(Almost forgot - at the least, you might want to have your iron stores checked - probably wouldn't stop you from ovulating (you'd just get more anemic) but might play a role? I actually am just doing some guessing there though, so don't take my word for it!)

Swimmr Contributor

It took me a year to get back regular again. I went without a cycle for several months right after coming off. I was on it for about 4 years. From mid 19 to 23.

I've not been back on it since. I don't like what it did to me. Seems when I came off is when (as I look back) more of my celiac symptoms started.

• 4 months later...
GFCF Jen Newbie

I had been using oral contraception for about five years, until I stopped in July. Here it is November, and I am still experiencing "post-pill amenorrhea," or so I thought. Hubby and I are using condoms, until my cycle returns, and have had nothing but negative pregnancy tests. I haven't had a single period since withdrawl bleeding immediately after my last pill. If I follow the gluten-free diet, I should be just as fertile as any other woman, right? I have been a normal weight for almost 8 months now.

I spoke with a doctor, who suggested I just wait it out (not that I trust those boogers anyway, but that is a whole other topic). What are my options? Should I see a chiropractor, or midwife, or just keep waiting?

I hope I am not getting too personal, but did anyone else have trouble comming off the pill, even when following the gluten-free diet? I have no idea if this is just the after effects of the pill or Celiac.

I am currently having the same problem! I went off the pill almost a year ago and have not had my period since. (I've been on a gluten-free diet for 7 years). I've seen several doctors, including a reproductive endocrinologist, who determined that my ovaries are fine. The only possible answers I've been given are that I'm not ovulating because of my diet (I'm also casein-free) and because of my low BMI. My BMI is 19, and the doctors said I should try to get it up to 20 at least. I'm seeing a dietician soon to help me figure out the best way to do that.

Have you had any other luck? My husband and I would like to start a family in the near future, so I'd really like to get my period back!

Archived