kdonov2

Kona Grill Questions

Rate this topic

Kona Grill has a gluten free menu, but to my surprise, no sushi or sashimi was listed. They have gluten-free soy sauce, what could be glutinous with the sushi or slabs of raw fish? Does anyone know? The staff were unable to answer my questions.

BEing in Kona -- I had no idea this chain existed until I looked on the net.

Sometimes the seaweed can be processed with soy sauce, especially cheaper ones often made outside of Japan. If your sure the table soy sauce is gluten-free then you should have no trouble unless they buy pre-made rice. Many rice balls, onigiri in Japan, have wheat starch in them. Plain fish and gluten-free soy sauce is fine.

No Kona Grill in Kona!

Kona Grill has a gluten free menu, but to my surprise, no sushi or sashimi was listed. They have gluten-free soy sauce, what could be glutinous with the sushi or slabs of raw fish? Does anyone know? The staff were unable to answer my questions.

I actually asked about it last time I was there. None of the rolls are safe, but the simple, plain sashimi without any sauce is fine.

I spoke with the manager at my local Kona Grill (Lincolnshire, IL), they are reworking their gluten-free menu and hope to have a new one published soon. She told me I could have the sushi there, the rice was steamed non-instant and they do have the Tamari gluten-free soy sauce. She said no crab or sauces but all the fish and veggie rolls were fine, they would make anything non-marinated gluten free for me. Their Salmon and Tuna are AWESOME!

I think it depends on the managers there, mine is VERY accommodating but it is good to check. With sushi in general I have had alot of luck! Ask if their rice is non-instant or wheat free, avoid crab, and any sauces. I love the veggie rolls myself, cucumber and avocado (sometimes with tuna), sometimes if their sushi rolls have instant rice they have non-instant steamed rice they can use instead.

Hope this helps!!

Thats great to know since I have to go to Lincolnshire in June -- is that marriott & dinner theater place still there?

I spoke with the manager at my local Kona Grill (Lincolnshire, IL), they are reworking their gluten-free menu and hope to have a new one published soon. She told me I could have the sushi there, the rice was steamed non-instant and they do have the Tamari gluten-free soy sauce. She said no crab or sauces but all the fish and veggie rolls were fine, they would make anything non-marinated gluten free for me. Their Salmon and Tuna are AWESOME!

I think it depends on the managers there, mine is VERY accommodating but it is good to check. With sushi in general I have had alot of luck! Ask if their rice is non-instant or wheat free, avoid crab, and any sauces. I love the veggie rolls myself, cucumber and avocado (sometimes with tuna), sometimes if their sushi rolls have instant rice they have non-instant steamed rice they can use instead.

Hope this helps!!