mareahf

Whole Semolina Durum

Rate this topic

I was diagnosed 2 years ago with celiac disease and I have been on the diet as best I can. I have accidentally eaten gluten and paid the price many times, BUT last week I ate "Superpan" (a type of bread) that had whole semolina durum and I didn't get sick?!? A few months ago I accidentally had rice cooked with Campbell

You definitely ate gluten if it was whole wheat semolina. It could be that you have healed a bit more and don't react as strongly or the amount of gluten. My reactions have varied a lot since I first went gluten-free- I used to get deathly ill. Now I just feel uncomfortable. I'm sure you already know this, bu even if you didn't react you shouldn't eat gluten because damage can be cumulative. :)

Hi, I'm wondering, was this a sourdough bread? I have read that some processes of making sourdough break down the gluten, making it potentially easier to digest. Perhaps you have healed enough that the weakened form of gluten did not give you symptoms. I would still not risk eating it again (like PP mentioned it could still do damage over time) but perhaps that is an explanation.