michaelkl1

Gluten Sensitivity After Giardia

Rate this topic

I am a 51 year old male who has just starting having gluten sensitivity over the last several months. About 5 months ago I tested positive for the Giaridia parasite. After 3 different drugs and 12 weeks I was able to get rid of the parasite, however I continued to have symptoms. I had a GI doctor do a biopsy and it showed that I had gluten sensitivity. At that time I was having a lot of stomach cramps and diarrhea. I also started to get an itchy rash on the under side of both my arms. I went for a blood test for the antibodies, but it came back negative. So it looks like I have gluten sensitivity, but not celiac. I am starting on a gluten free diet. Since my blood test is negative,can this gluten sensitivity eventually go away if I give my body time after being on a gluten free diet?

Also, I like to exercise and do weight training, but I am concerned that I may lose too much body weight and energy on a gluten free diet. Are there any gluten free foods that can help me maintain a good calorie intake, and help me maintain my current weight?

Did you get a biospy done on the itchy rash? If you ever get it back and didn't get a biospy already, I highly recommend that you do. There is a specific rash that celiac sufferers often get that can confirm a diagnoses for you. As you may realize by reading through some posts, blood work is often inconclusive.

Dont' worry about not being able to get enough calories...it won't be a problem. I eat a ton of avocados, brown rice protein, coconut milk, which help maintain my weight....oh, and dark chocolate :rolleyes:

The key to building and maintaining muscle is getting plenty of protein, which won't be a problem for you with a gluten-free diet. If you can do dairy, then whey protein is great for pre-and post workouts, and health bars such as Lara Bars are gluten-free and full of protein and carbs too!

Like Taco Bell says, you just need to "think outside the bun!" :P

I am a 51 year old male who has just starting having gluten sensitivity over the last several months. About 5 months ago I tested positive for the Giaridia parasite. After 3 different drugs and 12 weeks I was able to get rid of the parasite, however I continued to have symptoms. I had a GI doctor do a biopsy and it showed that I had gluten sensitivity. At that time I was having a lot of stomach cramps and diarrhea. I also started to get an itchy rash on the under side of both my arms. I went for a blood test for the antibodies, but it came back negative. So it looks like I have gluten sensitivity, but not celiac. I am starting on a gluten free diet. Since my blood test is negative,can this gluten sensitivity eventually go away if I give my body time after being on a gluten free diet?

Also, I like to exercise and do weight training, but I am concerned that I may lose too much body weight and energy on a gluten free diet. Are there any gluten free foods that can help me maintain a good calorie intake, and help me maintain my current weight?

Did you get a biospy done on the itchy rash? If you ever get it back and didn't get a biospy already, I highly recommend that you do. There is a specific rash that celiac sufferers often get that can confirm a diagnoses for you. As you may realize by reading through some posts, blood work is often inconclusive.

Dont' worry about not being able to get enough calories...it won't be a problem. I eat a ton of avocados, brown rice protein, coconut milk, which help maintain my weight....oh, and dark chocolate :rolleyes:

The key to building and maintaining muscle is getting plenty of protein, which won't be a problem for you with a gluten-free diet. If you can do dairy, then whey protein is great for pre-and post workouts, and health bars such as Lara Bars are gluten-free and full of protein and carbs too!

Like Taco Bell says, you just need to "think outside the bun!" :P

I went to a dermatologist and she prescribed me some lotion which I used and the itchy rash went away within a week and the rash has not come back, but my arms occasionally feel itchy even though the rash has gone away. I don't know if it still has something to do with my gluten sensitivity. If the rash comes back I will get the biopsy on my arm. Anyway I started on my gluten free diet for a couple of days now, so I will see how things go. Thanks.