Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

curiousgirl

Muscle Wasting

For more than a year now, neurologists at UC San Francisco have been trying to figure out why the muscles in my left hand are atrophied. I've had several EMGs, MRI, CT scans and even had surgery for thoracic syndrome last December...still getting worse...my left hand looks like a skeleton and of course trying to do anything with it just doesn't work. My neurologist was writing orders for me to get a lumbar puncture test for spinal fluid, another MRI with my head in a "looking down" position, and blood tests that had to be sent back East. When I was diagnsed with Celiac last month, I called my neurologist and he said that could have something to do with my hand. So, I don't have to do the lumbar puncture thing or the MRI. Results of blood tests were faxed to doc, but it's been about 3 weeks and he hasn't returned my calls. Suggestions?

I love what I do, and feel that it matters. How could anything be more fun?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Keep up with the diet and be patient. I had a lot of muscle wasting in my leg on my right side. I also had no reflexes. It took awhile for things to get more normal but they did improve. I am so sorry you are going through this. A physical therapist was very helpful for me. Has your doctor given you a referral? They are covered by insurance but you do need a 'script' for the therapy.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)