Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

heatherjane

For Those Of You Who Use Afterglow Cosmetics...

...just wondering how long the foundation lasts. I've heard good things about it, but I can only justify spending $30 if I know I'll still be using the same container after several months. Anyone?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi, I don't use these products but I used to use Bare Minerals but stopped after hearing an alarming report on the Dr. Oz show. According to him, these minerals are milled so finely (into nano-particles) that he feels inhaling them will eventually lead to lung disease...much like the lung issues coal miners have. I have since switched to ZuZu foundation, which is gluten free and I like it. Just my (and Dr. Oz's ;) ) two cent's.

2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)

2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life

wow - nothing is safe :( Thanks for the two cents! Does ZuZu last for awhile or do you have to buy more every couple of months?

One bottle (it's liquid) lasts me about three months. I only use one pump...it's got good coverage and a little goes a long way. I pay under $30 for it.

2010- Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy, Eggs, Nut free. Sugar, non-gluten grains lite(Yes, still plenty to eat!)

2010-Doctor diagnosed me as Celiac then took diagnoses back, then said avoid gluten for life

I use Bare Minerals. I got my last "pot" in Feb., and still have several months left. As far as Dr. Oz's speculation that the particles are likely to lead to pneumonoultramicrosopicvolcanosilaconosis (not sure on the spelling there, but it's one of my favorite words!) or related syndromes, I consider that highly unlikely. That particular disease was what resulted for miners who breathed in coal dust for years, probably working 50+ hours per week. Make-up application is maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute a day. No where near the level of dust inhalation that the coal miners were subjected to. And the make-up is of lighter density than coal, therefore not going to harm the lungs like the coal.

Sorry to get up on the soap box, but that Dr. Oz show was bad science. In other words, I really, really like my Bare Minerals!! Well worth my money. Ok, I'm done now. Sorry for my rant. . . (Do we have a "chagrined" emoticon?)

-Daisy

I haven't got the slightest idea how to change people, but still I keep a long list of prospective candidates just in case I should ever figure it out.

--David Sedaris

I use Bare Minerals. I got my last "pot" in Feb., and still have several months left. As far as Dr. Oz's speculation that the particles are likely to lead to pneumonoultramicrosopicvolcanosilaconosis (not sure on the spelling there, but it's one of my favorite words!) or related syndromes, I consider that highly unlikely. That particular disease was what resulted for miners who breathed in coal dust for years, probably working 50+ hours per week. Make-up application is maybe 30 seconds to 1 minute a day. No where near the level of dust inhalation that the coal miners were subjected to. And the make-up is of lighter density than coal, therefore not going to harm the lungs like the coal.

Sorry to get up on the soap box, but that Dr. Oz show was bad science. In other words, I really, really like my Bare Minerals!! Well worth my money. Ok, I'm done now. Sorry for my rant. . . (Do we have a "chagrined" emoticon?)

-Daisy

Daisy, thanks for the vote of confidence for Bare Minerals. I've been using it for a couple of years, like it very much. I'm careful not to raise clouds of it while applying it. Cloud-raising wastes the product, makes for messy clean up, and is easily avoided. So, not a problem. I do sometimes get itchy eyes, possibly from the product, after applying it, but I'm not willing to stop using it. I like it too much! :P

Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.

Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.

Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)

Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

I agree that sometimes we have to take TV medical advice with a grain of salt. Thanks for the reminder.

I have acne-prone skin and am also trying to stay with natural makeup to get away from all the chemicals. I ended up buying Almay's natural foundation this weekend as the ingredients looked ok, and it was a little easier on the budget. We'll see how my face handles it after a week. :rolleyes: I'm going to be in a wedding in a couple of months and need to look good. B)

Hi, I don't use these products but I used to use Bare Minerals but stopped after hearing an alarming report on the Dr. Oz show. According to him, these minerals are milled so finely (into nano-particles) that he feels inhaling them will eventually lead to lung disease...much like the lung issues coal miners have. I have since switched to ZuZu foundation, which is gluten free and I like it. Just my (and Dr. Oz's ;) ) two cent's.

:wacko: I wonder what is going to get me first, lung cancer from my little wet swipe of mineral eyeliner I apply with a brush and water, or brain cancer from using a cell phone ?

It's Always Something.