Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DucksnPucks

Is Five Days Gluten Free Too Early To Feel Better?

Hi all!

Per my last topic, had a bit of a lapse in judgment for the past couple weeks and ate a little bit here and there when I shouldn't have. Well, it hit me pretty about a week ago and now I am fatigued with a little bit of GI issues, nothing serious though in that department. Just the overwhelming fatigue, almost like being sick without the sick (of that makes sense). Loss of appetite and major weight loss as well.? I can function, can make it to work and do my job, but any physical activity right now just wipes me out. Probably doesn't help that I've had 5 and 6 hours sleep a night for the last week or so.

I've been gluten free for about five days but no real improvement yet, is it too early

to see improvement? Any advice for a newbie would be great. Thanks and god bless you all!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Yes it is too early. I would give yourself some more time to heal. No cheating. Give it at the very least three months to notice any major changes. You might notice some minor changes early on, but everyone is different and heals at a different pace.

Started on this journey w/ my 9 yr old son after a bout w/ the flu in the fall of 2009.

2 neg celiac blood tests, mine was also neg. No endo done. Son had x-ray, showing severe constipation. Son has latex allergy. KP for both of us.

Long family history of bowel problems, auto-immune and all sorts of cancers. My G-mother informed me that she was put on a gluten free diet after she had my mom (1950's), of course she stopped when she felt better. She has had problems ever since I can remember.

So here we are! I do have my son's Dr to thank for even bringing up celiac! Thank You Dr.B!

My adult daughter also has been helped by eating gluten-free.

Update: 6 days in and I am starting to regain my energy and appetite. Feeling much better today, despite getting up at 3:30 am to take care of a sick toddler. Finally feeling like I'm on the upswing.

It's incredibly scarey how sick I was feeling the past week or so, amazing how our bodies can react so violently!

That's great that you are feeling better. When starting the diet it is easy to make mistakes, especially when eating processed foods and trying to interpret ingredient labels. Keep going and you will get the hang of it after a while.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Oh honey, you're gonna hate me now. It was SIX months before I had ONE symptom free day. However I did have improvements in some things right away and everything kept getting a little bit better all the time, but it takes a long time to completely heal. There is destruction in your intestines and it takes awhile for your little inner army of construction workers to repair all of that. Stick with it, do NOT cheat and eat clean so you can heal faster.

Lots of doctors diagnosed me with lots of things including IBS, lactose intolerance, wheat intolerance, and quite a few of them threw up their hands in total confusion.

Had GI symptoms, allergy symptoms and unexplained illness my whole life.

Jan. 2010 Diagnosed celiac at the age of 40.

Ready to get well and get on with my life!

I was told it could take months before I felt normal and healthy again too. I try to rejoice in the small changes: my skin is clearer and I'm finally shedding weight and looking skinny again. Look for the little things and just be glad you're on the right path.

"My experience has been that there is, surprisingly, always hope." - Eleven

Positive blood test & endoscopy / Gluten-free 10-07-10 / Dairy-free / Soy-free

You'll have good days and bad days. Your worst days now are better :blink: than the best days then.

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.