Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shezatrip

How Many Parents And Kids Have Celiac?

The point is that silent celiac in children is rare. (This is different than for adults.)

My understanding is that the 2003 study that included Dr. Fasano demonstrated that 60% of children and 41% of adults were asymptomatic at the time they were biopsy diagnosed through screenings done for the study.

I didn't recall that. I'll have to look up the study again.

Thank you for the correction.

(I am curious, however, if they define asymptomatic as "displaying no gastrointestinal symptoms classic to celiac disease" or if they define asymptomatic as really having *nothing* wrong at all.)

when my daughter was diagnosed through a family screening her pediatrician said that in many cases in her practice she has seen that many people who originally said that they have no symptoms will feel much better and find out they actually did looking back

when my daughter was diagnosed through a family screening her pediatrician said that in many cases in her practice she has seen that many people who originally said that they have no symptoms will feel much better and find out they actually did looking back

That's a wise doctor - very rare to find! (as far as this disease goes anyway :))