Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Midwifemama5

Anyone Do A Weeks Menu At A Time?

I'm on the fence about having all my children go gluten free (I have 5), but I wanted to start doing some menu planning, I thought maybe if I do it as a lenten thing it might go over better. But I'm having trouble sitting down coming up with a weeks worth of menus that are gluten free.

Can anyone share kid friendly menus? I'm looking for easy to cook/fast (since I work two jobs right now and go t school full time plus my husband is having treatment for a brain tumor, so complicated recipes aren't going to get done).

Also, what about breakfasts, school lunches and snacks?

I think if I could sit down and plan out enough menus for a week at a time, it would easier for all of us and make it more doable....

I also would like to cut out dairy for my 11yo who has always wet the bed, every night since she was born!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Definitely. Simplifies everything. I do a lunch, dinner and a baby menu. Sometimes I switch lunches around or throw something together last minute if I'm in the mood but I usually stick to the menu. Then, because I'll stock up if I see a sale, the next week I make a menu from what I have on hand (or at least half a week's menu) to save and to use up items.

BTW, I've always done this, gluten-free or not, once I had children. It's a whole different ball game figuring out a menu for a family than just little old me!

Us too. Especially in the early months after diagnosis. It really helps with kiddo's lunches. I can plan things like pancakes Sunday morning and make a couple extra that become PB&J on pancakes for Monday's school lunch. Or a whole roasted chicken with a side of rice that become a lunchbox thermos meal of chicke with rice and gravy. Or pot roast and veggies becomes stew. Not to mention that as a very busy mom this helps keep me sane. I post the week's menu on the fridge so everyone knows what's coming (so if hubby picks up chicken at the cafeteria for lunch and we have chicken for dinner I don't feel bad!). Also, I choose to shop at several different stores for different things, so knowing what I need to buy ahead of time allows me to make several different grocery lists to work from.

We use a menu mailer called Gluten-Free Cuisine, so helpful!!! They e-mail me a list of 20 dinners I pick 5 and then they send me the shopping list and recipes for all the meals. Being new to celiac disease its been really helpful to get us started, I think its $10 per month.

I started making double batches of everything and freezing the extra meal. (Bonus if somethings on sale!) Freezing some extra cookies or brownies in single serving sizes for school lunches. Definately cupcakes for birthday parties.

Michigan