kenlove

Alpha Lipoic Acid

Rate this topic

Started getting a lot of leg pain then realized that I had stopped taking Alpha-lipoic acid, which is an antioxidant that is made by the body and is found in every cell, where it helps turn glucose into energy, 2 weeks ago. Originally it was for diabetic nerve pain which I have not had since July after a month in a clinic get my heart fixed. Anyway, started think about the possible relationship between this acid and celiac.

Anyone have experience with the acid?

ken

I take it. I don't know that I can tell what it helps with, but after reading about all the benefits, and a Physician's assistant also recommended it, I added it to my vitamin routine along with DMAE. That is interesting that you can tell it is helping your muscles. Please post if that pain goes away on resuming Alpha Lipoic Acid. It will be interesting.

Will do -- Just need to get to the store to get more!

I take it. I don't know that I can tell what it helps with, but after reading about all the benefits, and a Physician's assistant also recommended it, I added it to my vitamin routine along with DMAE. That is interesting that you can tell it is helping your muscles. Please post if that pain goes away on resuming Alpha Lipoic Acid. It will be interesting.

A week after being back on alpha lipoic acid there is no pain and no problems. No side effects either. Looks like I'll be on this for a long time -- I can also feel the difference in energy since it helps process glucose into energy as well as deal with free radicals --

Hi Ken,

Seems like a read a post on here a long time ago about ALA possibly raising blood sugar levels. I don;t know if that is true or a problem or not, just something once read.

What it does is release more glucose into the blood stream so that it gets converted to energy instead of being stored.

I stopped all sugar last July and now off of all meds. I know when the ALA is working since my sugar will go between 80 and 124 everyday but now and then it will shoot up to 170 followed by 150 and 120 -- after those 3 days it goes back below 100 for a month or so -- its just helps to use up the stored sugar...I just dont eat any carbs for a few days when it happens

Hi Ken,

Seems like a read a post on here a long time ago about ALA possibly raising blood sugar levels. I don;t know if that is true or a problem or not, just something once read.

What it does is release more glucose into the blood stream so that it gets converted to energy instead of being stored.

I stopped all sugar last July and now off of all meds. I know when the ALA is working since my sugar will go between 80 and 124 everyday but now and then it will shoot up to 170 followed by 150 and 120 -- after those 3 days it goes back below 100 for a month or so -- its just helps to use up the stored sugar...I just dont eat any carbs for a few days when it happens

Well, I looked up ALA on the UMD site. They say a lot of good things about ALA. Sounds like a good thing to me! I may suggest it to my brother. He just started a diabetic diet.

Alpha-lipoic acid U of MD

This is just small portion of the web page info:

Diabetes

Alpha-lipoic acid can lower blood sugar levels, and its ability to kill free radicals may help reduce pain, burning, itching, tingling, and numbness in people who have nerve damage caused by diabetes (called peripheral neuropathy). Alpha-lipoic acid has been used for years for this purpose in Europe, and at least one study found that intravenous (IV) doses of alpha-lipoic acid helped reduce symptoms. However, the evidence indicating that taking alpha-lipoic acid orally will help is weaker. Most studies have been small and poorly designed. One 2006 study did show benefit from taking alpha-lipoic acid for diabetic neuropathy compared to placebo.

Taking alpha-lipoic acid does appear to help another diabetes-related condition called autonomic neuropathy, which affects the nerves supplying the heart. One study found that 73 people with autonomic neuropathy improved when taking 800 mg of alpha-lipoic acid orally compared to placebo.

They first gave it to me for neuropathic pain relief. When I went off it the difference was pretty remarkable.

My experience begs the question if there is some relation to celiac where the lack of villi prevents getting whatever is needed to produce the ALA in cells.

Who knows... just glad the pain is not there.

Well, I looked up ALA on the UMD site. They say a lot of good things about ALA. Sounds like a good thing to me! I may suggest it to my brother. He just started a diabetic diet.

Alpha-lipoic acid U of MD

This is just small portion of the web page info:

Diabetes

Alpha-lipoic acid can lower blood sugar levels, and its ability to kill free radicals may help reduce pain, burning, itching, tingling, and numbness in people who have nerve damage caused by diabetes (called peripheral neuropathy). Alpha-lipoic acid has been used for years for this purpose in Europe, and at least one study found that intravenous (IV) doses of alpha-lipoic acid helped reduce symptoms. However, the evidence indicating that taking alpha-lipoic acid orally will help is weaker. Most studies have been small and poorly designed. One 2006 study did show benefit from taking alpha-lipoic acid for diabetic neuropathy compared to placebo.

Taking alpha-lipoic acid does appear to help another diabetes-related condition called autonomic neuropathy, which affects the nerves supplying the heart. One study found that 73 people with autonomic neuropathy improved when taking 800 mg of alpha-lipoic acid orally compared to placebo.