anna34

Which Tests Should Husband Get?

Rate this topic

My thanks to everyone on this board. You have been so helpful to me as I learn about this disease.

Our daughter was diagnosed through biopsy a month ago. My TTG was borderline so I began the diet with her. Both of us are seeing our symptoms resolve. :)

My husband's TTG was negative, but we were told by a G.I. that he should be re-tested in the future due to a severely low B12 problem he had a few years back. We weren't given any explanation as to why his B12 was so low (almost gone from his body). He is currently taking B12 shots. Here are my questions:

1. Which tests, specifically, should he request when he does go for testing in the future? (So far my list includes: iron, folate, and B12, but I don't know the specific celiac panel that he should request or if there are other vitamins he should get checked.)

2. Should he stop getting his B12 shots prior to the testing?

3. How far "in the future" she he get tested? How long should we wait?

Any advice/information is appreciated.

Hi anna34.

Also D, E, A & K

Celiac tests

Anti-gliadin antibodies (AGA) both IgA and IgG

Anti-endomysial antibodies (EMA) - IgA

Anti-tissue transglutaminase antibodies (tTG) - IgA and IgG

Total IgA level

Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) Antibodies, IgA & IgG

B-12 shots will have no effect on testing for celiac - low B12 is a common side effect of celiac due to failure to absorb. He needs it to remain high normal. I would test once every couple of years for celiac unless he has symptoms earlier.