This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Need Chocolate!

GFreeMO

GFreeMO Proficient

I am growing very tired of going to the movies or a ball game and sitting there with nothing to snack on. Which chocolates are safe? Are M&M's ok? What about those dumb pretzel ones and the shared equip? Hersheys told me on the phone that none of their stuff can be considered gluten free. huh?! ugh

Enjoy Life stuff wont work b/c they dont sell those products at these places and you can't even bring in a purse or a bag to a ballgame.

What is a safe thing to get at the movies?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

M&M's are safe. Plain and Peanut.

Not the crispy ones or the Pretzel things...they have gluten.

Hershey's is supposed to be safe, but I've read of people having reactions...something about manufacturing processes have changed. However, I eat them and do not notice a problem.

Snickers are safe.

Reeses are safe...but read the label...some contain wheat.

love2travel Mentor

M&M's are safe. Plain and Peanut.

Not the crispy ones or the Pretzel things...they have gluten.

Hershey's is supposed to be safe, but I've read of people having reactions...something about manufacturing processes have changed. However, I eat them and do not notice a problem.

Snickers are safe.

Reeses are safe...but read the label...some contain wheat.

Just contacted the company re Reeses and was told that NONE can be guaranteed gluten-free at all (in Canada).

GFreeMO Proficient

Anyone know if M&M's are produced on the same equipment as the pretzel ones? (gag..I wouldnt eat those if I could)

GFreeMO Proficient

According to some quick research I just did, Snickers are produced on shared equipment with Milky Way bars, which contain malt. Mars, the company who makes both of these do not include barley (malt) in their allergen statement. Not sure if they would be safe for me or not since I am pretty sensitive.

FernW Rookie

I have not had any problems with Hersheys, just a little trick someone at Trader Joe's told me if the product is kosher and is supposed to be gluten free it probably is. The kosher product with and OU on it (a circle with an U in it) is cleaned 10 times better. That OU cost the company around $20,000 (not kidding) this affords a rabbi on site to check the equipment. I eat kosher anyway so that was a plus to know that. I would like to know if the pretzels are made on the same machine as the regular. Called Mars but after hours there. Also when I went to a baseball game last week I had no problems getting in my own snacks, they check the bag and camera bag, I even got in my water (ok I snuck that). They did not say anything. With the movies and tell them I can get deathly ill and eat your popcorn and sue u or I can just take my own. Never had a problem, even brought in a closed can of coke

WinterSong Community Regular

Dove chocolate was my favorite before going gluten free, and luckily all of their chocolates are safe (and absolutely delicious!) :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

i sneak Almond M&Ms into the movie ALL THE TIME.. cause i cant digest peanuts AT ALL- i can do regular m&Ms, but almonds are my favorite... i havent had a problem. i also sneak caffeine free dc w/splenda in with me, cause i cant do HFCS, Aspartame or unnceccesary caffeine... God help the movie theater employee that tries to tell me i cant bring my stuff in :blink:

Archived