saintmaybe

Celiac Disease Awareness Month

Rate this topic

Hooray!

I have people talking about celiac disease at work. One of my most recalcitrant employees who DOES NOT LIKE ME nonetheless came in and told me about the Wild Harvest monthlong specials in honor of celiac disease awareness.

It was the first thing he told me about when he came in!

Also, I have a friend who's gone to the store twice to buy me gluten free cookies!

I designed and ordered some silicone bracelets for celiac awareness, so hopefully those will be here by mid month. They're super cute, green and white, nice font, etc. I run a seasonal dept. at a major retail chain, so I can really get into the idea of stuff to celebrate an event!

I also "came out" to my boss today as a celiac. I know opinions differ on this, but the fact is, I look sick. I've lost 40 lbs. There are days when I've looked BAD, like cancerous, dying bad. I couldn't hide that something was wrong, and the fact is, I don't really want to. I'd rather my boss know the truth, and know that I'm now getting treatment and am hopefully (fingers crossed) on my way to recovery.

Anyway, I'm working on the whole acceptance part of this deal, so I thought I'd go whole hog on the celiac awareness month thing. I'm not quite up to running any marathons yet, but maybe next year. =)

That is awesome!! I love the idea of the bracelets too!

I agree--it is cause to celebrate! Am glad to hear you are on the road to recovery and have a supportive work environment. The more people that know about who all gets it--and see their recovery, the better they understand it. Who knows, there may be others affected by celiac or severe gluten intolerance at your work site too.

Bea