This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sorely Disappointed With Gi Appt. Today

Hailiesmom08

T.H. Community Regular

Re: the dairy and allergy testing - very glad you are going to see the allergist. A good friend has a family history of allergies, and for any of the foods that her children reacted to with any sort of throat swelling/pain or hives, the docs always recommended that she 'try' the food again only in the office with an allergist, for safety reasons.

Have you mentioned her new reaction to the doctors that previously suggested that you try her on dairy ever 6 months? The new reaction would likely involve a change of advice, honestly.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StephanieL Enthusiast
soon and she swollowed it she started crying saying it hurts and pointed to her throat. Minutes later she wasn't talking and couldn't even swallow her saliva so she would run to the sink every 10 min to spit it out. Her doc had told us to try dairy every 6 months with her to see if she could tolerate it.

Was it your ped who said to try dairy every 6 months? Cause what you are describing sounds like it's headed to an anaphylactic reaction and I would get to an allergist and get some dpi pens. And NOT try it every 6 months. That sounds down right dangerous to me.

Hailiesmom08 Rookie

T.H- I did call her doctors office to inform them of her reaction and they said they would note it. I called today because my daughter seemed to have a stomach irritation after eating a banana, the lady answering the phones and the doctor don't seem to be on the same page because she said the doctor ran allergy tests but that he suggests I should see an allergist. When I spoke to her doctor when he read lab results back he said he ran IGA testing not IGE which from what I read they have to run IGE for allergies. Now I am beyond frustrated we just want to know what all is hurting our little girl.

Stephanie- It was our daughters pedi that advised us to try dairy every 6 months due to him thinking it was a dairy intolerance not an allergy.

He has always been such a great doc as of late i'm starting to wonder but at the moment I just can't seem to trust anyone.

StephanieL Enthusiast

Stephanie- It was our daughters pedi that advised us to try dairy every 6 months due to him thinking it was a dairy intolerance not an allergy.

He has always been such a great doc as of late i'm starting to wonder but at the moment I just can't seem to trust anyone.

As an allergy Mom as well as Celiac, I strongly suggest getting to an allergist. You need IgE testing with that reaction which is sounds like wasn't done? (I can't see your post to double check that but I think that's what I read). IgE testing is for allergies that are more likely to be anaphylactic. The other Ig's are more intolerances and the like.

FWIW, we've been through 5 allergists. It was a heck of a time finding one who knew what was up. Our last ped was an allergist as well and he had less of a clue than the others! I would suggest checking over on the kids with food allergies forum if you want recommendations for a good allergy Doc (if you choose to go that way).

Hailiesmom08 Rookie

Stephanie- No unfortunately IGE testing wasn't done just IGA. We have an appt with an allergist on Wed. I hope it goes well I'm teally starting to bw fearful of what to feed my daughter. I gavr her a banana Thursday, not only did it cause stomach irritation she broke out in a yeast infection from it. I thought to help with the inflammation let's give her a childrens motrin. Within 5 min. She broke out in a rash on her inner thighs and said it stung and itched bad.

Sorry to hear you have had such trouble finding a good doctor :/

StephanieL Enthusiast

I wonder if it's corn causing some of the issue. That could explain the Mortin. Also, we can't do bananas so I feel ya there. DS has a condition called FPIES that can/does (for him) cause him to go into shock from them.

I really hope you can get things figured out. It is tough to get through but know once you "get it" it'll be like night and day for her!

Hailiesmom08 Rookie

Oh goodness that must be so scary.

Thank you Stephanie for the advice/support this is soo hard and heartbteaking.

We want to do an elimination diet but with her only being 3 and a picky eater as is I just don't know how to go about it. Once she gets sick of eating the same bland foods she then just stops eating all together. I really can't wait to be in the

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived