This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A Biopsy

cristalbleu13

cristalbleu13 Newbie

Hello everyone , could anyone explain to me in details what this result means : villous atrophy grade 4( i was diagnosed with the celiac disease at the age of 2 ).

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

It means total villous atrophy or completely flattened villi. Completely atrophic. . It is in this extremely uncommon setting that a

lymphoma is more likely to occur.

See:

Open Original Shared Link

Have you been gluten free since the age of two? Was this the results of an endoscopy at the age of 2 or was this from a recent endoscopy?

beachbirdie Contributor

Hello everyone , could anyone explain to me in details what this result means : villous atrophy grade 4( i was diagnosed with the celiac disease at the age of 2 ).

The grade 4 atrophy rating is a measurement of damage to the villi in your intestine. A rating this high is usually seen in untreated celiac.

When was this biopsy done? If recent, you have serious intestinal damage going on. And at risk for a lot of stuff.

cristalbleu13 Newbie

It means total villous atrophy or completely flattened villi. Completely atrophic. . It is in this extremely uncommon setting that a

lymphoma is more likely to occur.

See:

Have you been gluten free since the age of two? Was this the results of an endoscopy at the age of 2 or was this from a recent endoscopy?

This was at the age of 2 , had been on gluten free diet for 16 years ,then stopped it at the age of 18 and after 4 years of gluten started having ibs symptoms , anxiety , panic attacks and lost 11 lbs , had to come off gluten again without listening to doctors and it's been 4 week since i went on gluten free diet again.

beachbirdie Contributor

Ahh...I just went back and found one of your original posts in which you shared your whole story.

I am dumbfounded that a doctor put you back on a "normal" diet after having been diagnosed celiac. And that they went fishing for other things when you started getting sick.

Celiac is not something you "get over", and you simply must be gluten free. The damage is causing nutritional deficiencies which will feed your panic attacks, neuropathies, and other symptoms.

They shouldn't be putting you through this all over again and I'm sorry you've been suffering for the sake of incompetent doctors. :angry:

cristalbleu13 Newbie

Ahh...I just went back and found one of your original posts in which you shared your whole story.

I am dumbfounded that a doctor put you back on a "normal" diet after having been diagnosed celiac. And that they went fishing for other things when you started getting sick.

Celiac is not something you "get over", and you simply must be gluten free. The damage is causing nutritional deficiencies which will feed your panic attacks, neuropathies, and other symptoms.

They shouldn't be putting you through this all over again and I'm sorry you've been suffering for the sake of incompetent doctors. :angry:

I got fed up of doctors , how long will it take to get rid of gluten ?? how long will it take for the symptoms to go away if they are related to my celiac disease

beachbirdie Contributor

I got fed up of doctors , how long will it take to get rid of gluten ?? how long will it take for the symptoms to go away if they are related to my celiac disease

Kind of depends on your body. Some people heal more quickly than others.

Were you feeling fairly well before you were taken on this misadventure?

It is possible it could take up to some months to heal. Because celiac is an autoimmune response to the gluten, you will have a lot of inflammation in your body. That takes time to overcome, even after the immediate symptoms have faded.

I hope you will be feeling well very soon!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cristalbleu13 Newbie

Kind of depends on your body. Some people heal more quickly than others.

Were you feeling fairly well before you were taken on this misadventure?

It is possible it could take up to some months to heal. Because celiac is an autoimmune response to the gluten, you will have a lot of inflammation in your body. That takes time to overcome, even after the immediate symptoms have faded.

I hope you will be feeling well very soon!

To be honest with you i have lots of symptoms , stomach problems , ibs , anxiety , panic attacks but since i started the gluten free diet i managed to eat , i'm having my appetite back again , i'm not feeling that sad like i was before ( i'm not crying for no reason now i'm fine), i'm bit worried because i'm not sure if all of this is caused by my celiac disease , and i'm not sure wether it will go away or not in couple of months , the doctor i'm with at the moment doesn't care at all , she didn't even believe i had a celiac disease at the age of 2 until i had to show the medical record because the blood test was negative .

We will see how it goes in 2 to 3 months :(

squirmingitch Veteran

Your problems really ARE due to the celiac dear --- they really are. I know it seems hard to believe but believe. There are countless people who have posted on this board who can attest to the myriad of things untreated celiac causes to happen. You have had celiac disease your whole life. It will never go away but you will be fine if you stay on a strict gluten-free diet. Hang in there! You'll get better --- honest!!!!smile.gif

Ninja Contributor

Here is a link that lists everything that can be a symptom, or related disorder of Celiac: Open Original Shared Link

cristalbleu13 Newbie

Thank's everybody and i hope i'll get better soon with the gluten free diet :)

Archived