Carrot Cake (Gluten-Free)
I diagnosed myself for gluten intolerance after a lifetime of bizarre, seemingly unrelated afflictions. If my doctors had their way, I would have already undergone neck surgery, still be on 3 different inhalers for asthma, be vomiting daily and having chronic panic attacks. However, since eliminating gluten from my diet in May 2009, I no longer suffer from any of those things. Even with the proof in the pudding (or gluten) my doctors now want me to ingest gluten to test for celiac-no can do.View all articles by Destiny Stone
This is one recipe to keep in your recipe collection; especially if you love carrot cake as much as I do. The best thing about this recipe is that it is of course gluten-free, but also dairy-free. There is also an option for nut-free if you leave out the walnuts (adapted from Elana’s Pantry recipe).
- 3 cups blanched almond flour
- 1¾ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 5 eggs
- ½ cup agave nectar
- ¼ cup grapeseed oil
- 3 cups carrots, grated
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, mix together eggs, agave and oil.
- Stir carrots, raisins
- Stir wet ingredients into dry.
- Place batter into 2 well greased, 9 inch round cake pans.
- Bake at 325° F for 35 minutes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup agave nectar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 5 teaspoons arrowroot powder
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1¼ cup coconut oil
- In a medium saucepan, heat coconut milk, agave and salt, simmer for 10 minute.
- In a small bowl, combine arrowroot and water to form a smooth paste.
- Pour arrowroot mixture into saucepan.
- Mix contents of saucepan with a hand blender and bring to a boil, briefly.
- Remove pot from heat and very gradually blend in coconut oil.
- Place pot in freezer for approximately 30 minutes, until frosting solidifies and turns white.
- Remove from freezer and blend again, until fluffy.
- Spread over cooled cake and enjoy!
As always, Celiac.com welcomes your comments (see below).