Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Could I Have Celiac? A Long List Of Lifelong Symptoms...

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 manuela_w

manuela_w

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 08:37 PM

So, I've always had a HUGE fear of doctors. I am now 32 years old, and finally just went in for my first physical in like... 15 years.

My doctor discovered that I am severely anemic. He wants to test for Celiac now. After my last appointment my head is spinning and I have been doing research and I am now wondering if some of you think these symptoms could indicate this. I know I could wait for the results, but I am just impatient I guess!

Gallbladder disease (I had mine removed due to gallstones when I was 20... very young)

Severe IBS (which I attributed to lack of gallbladder)

Gerd after eating wheat (mostly in the morning)

Mucus in bowel movements

Random abdominal pains

Delayed menarche (first period wasn't until I was almost 15)

Irregular periods

Rapid hair shedding

Weak fingernails

Fatigue

Dizziness/Vertigo

Muscle cramps

Chest pain

Mildly insulin resistant

Slightly elevated C-Peptides from Pancreas

When I was 20, just prior to my diagnoses with gallstones, I also was SEVERELY ILL for unexplained reasons. I was extremely fatigued (probably slept 14-16 hours a night), had deep chest pain, etc, and had to drop out of school for a semester. Doctors were flummoxed and told me I might have Chronic fatigue syndrome. My liver enzymes were also high. 

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Marilyn R

Marilyn R

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:21 PM

Hi Manuela and welcome to the forum!

To answer your question, yes, yes, and yes on several of your symptoms and ailments.

Hopefully you've been through the worst of it now ... and you'll eventually feel much better on a gluten-free diet.

In the meantime, in case you aren't aware,  it's important to continue your usual diet until the testing is complete.

Wishing you the very best!

Positive improvement from elimination diet. Mother dx'd by Mayo Clinic in late 1980s. Negative blood tests and Upper & Lower GI biopsy. Parathyroidectomy 12/09. Recurring high calcium level 4/10. Gluten-free 4/10. Soy & Dairy Free 6/10. Corn free 7/10. Grain free except rice 8/10. Legume free 6/11. Fighting the battle of the battle within myself, and I'm going to win!

As of 2/12, tolerating dairy, corn, legumes and some soy, but I limit soy to tamari sauce or modest soy additives. Won't ever try quinoa again!

Discoid Lupus from skin biopsy 2011, discovered 2/12 when picking up medical records. Systemic Lupus Dx 6/12. Shingles 10/12.

#3 manuela_w

manuela_w

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:07 AM

Hi Manuela and welcome to the forum!

To answer your question, yes, yes, and yes on several of your symptoms and ailments.

Hopefully you've been through the worst of it now ... and you'll eventually feel much better on a gluten-free diet.

In the meantime, in case you aren't aware,  it's important to continue your usual diet until the testing is complete.

Wishing you the very best!

Thank you very much. Unfortunately, I have been on a paleo diet since November, so I am not sure I will get a positive reading. I haven't eaten grains in any form since then. My doctor is aware of this, though. I am not sure how to get diagnosed on my current way of eating...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: