Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Strangest - But Positive - Effects Of The gluten-free Diet?

• Please log in to reply

30 replies to this topic

#16 Chiana

Chiana

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 08:39 AM

I don't get cold sores like I used to anymore.  I was getting them every other month or so, and now I get maybe one a year. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Takala

Takala

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,555 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

My fingernails....  what is it, with having to keep on trimming the things back once a week ?!  They won't stop growing.  My problem is that long nails are not really compatible with my outdoors activities, and now I have to remember to cut them down after a shower when they are softened.   And then there are the toenails.  They are somewhere down there beyond bifocal land way out on the end of any easy reach, and they won't stop growing, either.  I think I am going to kill myself trying to contort to see in focus, to reach the toenails for the proper trim and filing. So sometimes I just say to heck with it and either enlist my spouse to help, or go and get a pedicure.  So the nail salon industry is getting the benefit, here. 

Hair had to go shorter, because it came in too thick.  More trims!

Don't miss the chronic kidney/bladder problems, either, nor constantly getting infections.  At least that does not require grooming.  :lol:

#18 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

I'm not hungry all the time. :blink:

#19 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:11 PM

Oh, the hunger thing! I went a whole year without being able to sleep through the night,

having to get up to eat. Boy, I don't miss that!!!!

If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#20 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:17 PM

Oh, the hunger thing! I went a whole year without being able to sleep through the night,
having to get up to eat. Boy, I don't miss that!!!!

Ditto.

#21 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:21 PM

FINALLY going on a whole foods diet, once I realized I had other food intolerances. I feel way better. I danced for an hour and a half recently, where I struggled to do 10 minutes last summer.

General reduction in inflammation, plantar fasciitis gone, hand an neck pain drastically reduced.
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#22 ButterflyChaser

ButterflyChaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 07:15 PM

YAY CM! By the way, I felt enormously better on that kind of diet. I can tolerate most dairy (not all, which is weird) fine, but I need to limit nuts to 1/4 cup and not every day, because my tummy is not happy with more than that.

Hashimoto's thyroiditis and Grave's disease (2011). It must have been a Black Friday.
Intestinal dysbiosis. Suspected damage to my vili (2012). NCGS according to my dermatologist upon seeing my post-wheat rash.

Gluten-free. Sept 2012.
Canola, almonds, soy = evil.

Grain-free, legume-free. December 2012.
No peanuts and tree nuts. February 2013.
Erb-Duchenne palsy from birth trauma.

My body is trying to kill me.

#23 gatita

gatita

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 12:21 PM

My gums are wayyy healthier.

I've noticed my eyelashes are longer too, but never thought about why! Funny...

Diagnosed with wheat hates me 4/13

#24 EricaM15

EricaM15

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 04 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

I've had a lot of nice things happen since starting the gluten-free diet. My eyebrows got thicker and I no longer have to pluck away any stray hairs, my hair is softer and smoother, acne cleared up, and my body fat distribution is beginning to shift. I previously carried all my weight in my abdomen, and it's been slowly spreading to my arms, legs, and hips, which is nice. I might actually have curves one day.

#25 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:54 AM

The whites of my eyes are brighter, and my eyelids are no longer puffy, which makes me look alert and awake. I've had lots of people comment about how refreshed and vibrant I look now.

My vision has also improved since going gluten free. I couldn't read the descriptions on Netflix before, and now they're very clear. Vision goes blurry again aftert a glutening though.

#26 jamer

jamer

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

I've only been gluten-free for about six weeks, when I was diagnosed. I've already noticed a HUGE difference!!

No more depression! I was actually taking meds, no more!

My neropathy that I thought was left over from before I had my back surgery...gone. No more meds for that.

Reflux is gone! No more meds there either.

Brain fog..oh my, it was bad.  Gone. I think clearly and my work (fairly new job) has dramatically improved.

More energy!!

gluten-free is so worth it just to feel human again. :)

*Biopsy diagnosed Celiac Disease 1/2013

*Gluten Free since January 20, 2013

#27 lisa74

lisa74

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

Great positive thread! I enjoyed reading everyone's responses. I have had so many changes happen to my body since going gluten free about 6 weeks ago, too many neurological changes to name here currently, but for now the most surprising non neurological, and not even a biggie, is that I keep getting compliments on my skin. People say my cheeks look rosy, lol, and that my complexion has greatly improved. My skin feels softer and I notice my hair is softer as well and it looks brighter. I have more energy and I smile more. My GI doc said, "You have made my day just by how good you look and feel compared to last time I saw you." The last time she spoke of when I looked so bad was pre-endoscopy and pre gluten free. She made my day by saying that!

#28 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:37 AM

My GI doc said, "You have made my day just by how good you look and feel compared to last time I saw you." The last time she spoke of when I looked so bad was pre-endoscopy and pre gluten free. She made my day by saying that!

Love it! I have a follow up with my doc in a few weeks. I'm almost at the one-year mark and am interested to see what she says. She said she noticed a difference at my last appointment a few months ago, but I feel even better now. I had no idea I could ever feel this good again.

#29 Kate79

Kate79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:57 AM

My hair is thicker and my skin is softer. Yay to absorbing nutrients!

#30 kcorcoran2013

kcorcoran2013

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 12:04 PM

My husband and I have both been gluten-free for around 5 weeks now.  I will post for both of us.  I took meds (generic ludiomil) for over 20 years so that I would not throw up everyday.  If I missed more than 2 days I would throw up. I have been off the medicine from the day I went gluten free and no vomiting!  I believe my hair (which has always been on the thick side) is becoming more thick.  I no longer am struggling to stay awake while driving to work (50 miles one way).  My afternoon/evening energy is slowly starting to improve.  My BMs are no longer fatty (but seem to be more stinky...lol I am guessing because there is no fatty film barrier holding the stink back. lol).  My husband had arthiritis pain in his fingers and that is gone.  He also has plantar faciatis and that seems to be gone.  He is starting to loose his love handles.  He says his brain fog is decreasing.

Can't wait to see us in 6 months!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: