2 replies to this topic

#1 Smylinacha

Smylinacha

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:06 PM

About a year ago my GP said I was deficient in b12, D, and folic acid. He wanted me to have b12 shots. Never mentioned celiac to me although I had many symptoms and my gastro said I would feel better going gluten free which I have done. Now I am supposed to get glutened for a while in order to get an endoscopy which I don't want to go near gluten. In trying to read up on celiac I am learning many have vitamin deficiencies. Is anyone taking special or extra supplements that help? Currently I take women's gluten free multi vitamin gummies and a magnesium pill. I get my potassium with bananas and eat lots of chicken, eggs and beans for protein.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 07:49 PM

I hope you won't think me flippant when I respond to your topic question with "Whatever you are deficient in."  Because it is true.  If you are not deficient in a vitamin, it is not going to help you.  You are deficient in B12, D and Folic acid, that we know of, but you may be deficient in others by now, too.  You need a full nutrient panel run, including all the vitamins, iron/ferritin, potassium, zinc, magnesium (sometimes it is not well absorbed).  Taking a multivitamin normally does not provide you with sufficient to refill your tank -- it just gets you to the next gas station -- and more is initially required, then you can go on a maintenance dose. :)   Usually, B12 can be rectified with a sublingual pill (be sure it is methylcobalamin).  Vit.A normally requires doses of 50,000 iu to start. 

Good luck with your testing.  You might want to have the nutrient panel run before you start supplementing so that you know what to pay particular attention to. :)

Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Smylinacha

Smylinacha

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:31 PM

Guess I will need more blood work again but I will do it. I do have the stick under your tongue b12 but I will get it all checked out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: