6 replies to this topic

#1 Auntie_Manda

Auntie_Manda

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 11:21 AM

Hi, everyone. I just joined today, and thought I'd say hi!

I do not have Celiac, but it's becoming more and more obvious to me that I'm gluten intolerant. My friend suggested that I go gluten-free to see if my migraines would go away (after my doctor was unable to find a cause for them). I've had daily headaches for years (since at least middle school, and I'm now 26). Well, recently they switched to daily migraines, and I couldn't function. I saw a doctor and was put on several medications to make the headaches go away, but they stopped working after a few weeks. I went gluten-free on Feb 28th, 2013. I saw an improvement with the migraines right away, but I'm sure there's still gluten still in my body, and I look forward to feeling even better.

What confirmed it to me, was last week when I had communion (my pastor said I could have gluten-free communion wafers, but forgot and gave me a normal one). An hour and a half later, I was miserable. I had a stomachache, and I was bloated to looking 5 months pregnant, and I had a horrible migraine. I didn't feel better for 2.5 days.

It's quite a project learning about how to eat. It's also a challenge telling others about it, and being faced with everyone thinking it's a fad/ some "thing I'm doing". I haven't been diagnosed by a doctor, but that doesn't make it any less real. I'm not going to reintroduce gluten and feel horrible just for a doctor to tell me what I already know. On the other end of the spectrum, I got some attitude from a guy with Celiac (saying that the reaction probably wasn't due to communion because I still had gluten in my system). He made me feel like since I don't have Celiac, my problems aren't real. Luckily I do have some supportive friends and family members, and that makes a huge difference.

I joined this website because it has been so helpful every time I do web searches with any questions. Thanks already for the help! I look forward to becoming an active member  :D

-Gluten free (and migraine free!) since 2.28.2013
-"probable Celiac" May 2013, not willing to do testing
-I am a gluten free supertaster who can only handle small amounts of dairy, and I have serious aversions to meat and vegetables... yep, I live off of fruit, rice, corn, & potatoes :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jhol

jhol

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:09 PM

hi there,

just writing to say hi really, dont worry about not being diagnosed celiac, there are lots of us on here who have gone on the diet out of desperation . and had to work things out for ourselves. ask anything you like, people will always answer. only been on here since january myself .

good luck in working out what works for you :)

#3 a1956chill

a1956chill

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Welcome Auntie Manda :)

Gluten free Oct/09
Soy free Nov/10

numerous additional intolerances,, i.e. If it tries to kill me I do not eat it .
After 40+ years of misdiagnoses I was diagnosed with:
Dermatitis Herpetiformis : Positive DH biopsy...... Celiac :based on DH biopsy and diet response.

Osteoporosis before  age 50
Hashimoto's thyroiditis disease .

Diagnosed type 2 Diabetes 

Osteoarthritis

Gilbert's Syndrome , confirmed by gene testing

#4 julissa

julissa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 04:39 PM

welcome, it's nice to meet you

#5 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 06:10 PM

Hi Aunty Manda,

It certainly sounds as if you have a positive dietary response.  Sometimes one even seems to react more than ever as the body recovers.  That is a good think, because it helps one learn the way.

I always try to give flowers to those who are new  *** That is my best flowers to date.

Get well, I am glad you have support,

Diana

#6 Life-Of-A-Gluten-Free-Wife

Life-Of-A-Gluten-Free-Wife

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

Hi guys!

Just stopping by to say hello! I was looking for a forum online talking about gluten free. My husband recently found out that he has a gluten sensitivity, we haven't gotten tested for celiac, but we know gluten is a problem. He gets very sick whenever he eats anything with gluten, he grew up thinking it was normal. Hoping to connect with a couple of people -

I am also on twitter too will follow you if you follow me. I also update my blog regularly. Looking for some online friends to share glutenfree info with.

#7 jhol

jhol

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 01:11 AM

hi there,

just saying ,you might be better off introducing yourself in one of the lists on the forum page. theres one for friends of a relative with celiac - or something like that. just click on that then on the start a new thread button. more people will see your post that way.ask any questions you want, even if you think its stupid/dumb - ive asked loads lol. only been here myself since january, ive had the tests - they were all negative. ive gone on the diet anyway and im currently waiting for allergy tests but im going off that im  gluten intolerant.

theres also a good read with the newbie 101 thread that will help you and your husband a lot. nice to hear from you - hope that helps :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: