Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Traveling To California For The First Time Since Diagnosis.........

• Please log in to reply

2 replies to this topic

#1 rami

rami

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 05:47 AM

We are traveling for the first time since my son's celiac diagnosis and I am extremely nervous and overwhelmed by the prospect of it. We will be traveling to the Orange County, California area for a wedding and while we will be staying with family members, we will also be out and about much of the time we are there. I have already made reservations at Ariel's Grotto in California Adventure on the day we will be there (which will accommodate for gluten-free), but I am looking for other celiac friendly restaurants in the area. I would appreciate any restaurant suggestions any of you might have to offer. Also, I have heard that Trader Joe's has a large selection of gluten-free products, should we stick with Whole Foods while we are in California or would it be safe to shop at Trader Joe's? Thanks in advance for your help!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kenlove

kenlove

Advanced Community Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

Both Whole Foods and Trader joes are fine. I find  WF has a bigger selection and is more  gluten-free friendly.  The last time I was there I found a number of gluten-free pizza places  that  had dedicated gluten-free kitchens. Think I found them  by searching gluten-free orange county. There should be some  health food restaurants and shops with plenty of selections too. If you go out to a fancy place  or  where the wedding is, call and talk to the chef a day or two ahead of time. Thh more advance you give them the better the gluten-free meal usually is. 

Have a great trip!

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Darissa

Darissa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 03 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

We do our standard go to chains when traveling. There is a PFChangs (our favorite restaruant for gluten free food. They have a great menu and do a great job in the kitchen of keeping things seperate to help prevent cross contact) in Anaheim, and also a Outback. They might have multiple locations in Orange County. Those are our favorite chains that have good gluten-free menus.  We also look online and check for local restaurants that have a gluten free menu.  Good luck and have fun!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: