arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Baby And Food Allergy/intolerance- How To Know?

allergy intolerance baby

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 momma bee

momma bee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

I have a 17 month old baby who is now just over one month gluten free.  What I am wondering about is how you might know in a baby if they had other food allergies or intolerances?  Any suggestions?  The pulmonologist and pediatrician in the past have both told me "not to worry" about potential allergies and have said "nothing will show" on tests at her age anyways.  With her being unable to really communicate to me though I do not know how I would know, and many nights she seems to wake up or just before she goes to sleep she has extreme abdominal pain with arching back and screaming or crying until she falls asleep and only being held upright will console her.  Any advice?  And do you think I should take her back and ask again for allergy testing?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 08:46 PM

My daughter used to do that.  She also had chronic infections of the ears, throat and sinuses.  And skin rashes.  Sadly we did not find out about the intolerances until she was 6.  But that was not for the lack of trying on my part.

#3 gfreemarketingguru

gfreemarketingguru

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

My little guy was diagnosed with celiac at 22months & was also reacting to dairy & soy. I was told that this is very common and may be outgrown as the intestine repairs itself. I've been slowly reintroducing dairy and he seems to be tolerating it well in small amounts (yogurt w/ added probiotic, cheese, butter) - if he has too much (such as sneaking his sisters glass of milk) he shows various symptoms - itchy, unusual diaper and stomach pain (noticable when he is sleeping unfortably). Might be worth trying dairy/soy free for a few days, my little guy is happy with almond milk which is rather nutrient rich.

#4 momma bee

momma bee

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 06:57 PM

Thanks for your reply! And sorry to hear it was so delayed for you finding out about the intolerances! I am glad to hear this though as perhaps I should just try without and see what happens as you suggest. Shouldn't be harmful, just more work in preparing and trying to think of food options! Just not sure what to eliminate- we stopped egg as it seemed to make her vomit but was so subjective, could try dairy and do you think soy is a likely culprit too?

#5 gfreemarketingguru

gfreemarketingguru

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:45 PM

dairy is really hard for a damaged intestine to digest (google it for explanation why) so thats a easy,place to start. Trying it for a few days, cant hurt & usually the little ones show improved reaction quite rapidly so you'll know if its the cause. Apparently the same issue with soy, often dairy & soy reactions go hand in hand.

#6 Juliebove

Juliebove

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:35 AM

Those things were all problems for my daughter.  You might try eliminating all top 8 allergens for about a month, then trying them again, one by one, slowly.  Keep a food diary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: