Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Not Reading An Ingred. Label...

4 posts in this topic

I can NOT believe I did this... I was packing "care packages" for my two sons in college last night. I bought all this fun "retro" candy from my childhood, and was totally ingrossed in getting it packed up to send! Well, I took a bite out of a cow tale... and THEN thought to read the ingredients!!!! WHAT was I thinking?? The very first ingred. was WHEAT! :o UGH!! I ran into the kitchen and spit it into the sink... then proceeded to gargle water and try and get it out of my mouth! Then I ran into the bathroom and thoroughly brushed my teeth. My daughter said, "Mom, I almost had to dial 9-1-1!!!" She is convinced if I get any wheat at all I will DIE on the spot! Ha! The good news is that I feel totally fine today ~ I didn't swollow anything, and hopefully nothing was digested. Another lesson learned... read, read, read!!!!!

Ads by Google:

That was a close one! I'll bet that from now on you will automatically check--thats what happened to me with a mint I popped into my mouth without checking. The almost PANIC that set in after I had it in my mouth--I thought OH NO --was kind of funny when you think about it. I'm glad you didn't get sick!

Wow that was one close call...you probably got some in you because when its in your mouth it gets in your saliva so you probably swallowed traces but good thing is you did not get a reaction

Just another example on how important it is to read the labels.

It happens to the best of us though. That happened to me a while ago too except I swallowed it and ended up with a bad reaction.

i used to love those cow tails :) glad you aren't sick!