- - - - -

Not Reading An Ingred. Label...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_gfinnebraska_*

Guest_gfinnebraska_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:35 AM

I can NOT believe I did this... I was packing "care packages" for my two sons in college last night. I bought all this fun "retro" candy from my childhood, and was totally ingrossed in getting it packed up to send! Well, I took a bite out of a cow tale... and THEN thought to read the ingredients!!!! WHAT was I thinking?? The very first ingred. was WHEAT! :o UGH!! I ran into the kitchen and spit it into the sink... then proceeded to gargle water and try and get it out of my mouth! Then I ran into the bathroom and thoroughly brushed my teeth. My daughter said, "Mom, I almost had to dial 9-1-1!!!" She is convinced if I get any wheat at all I will DIE on the spot! Ha! The good news is that I feel totally fine today ~ I didn't swollow anything, and hopefully nothing was digested. Another lesson learned... read, read, read!!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:51 AM

That was a close one! I'll bet that from now on you will automatically check--thats what happened to me with a mint I popped into my mouth without checking. The almost PANIC that set in after I had it in my mouth--I thought OH NO --was kind of funny when you think about it. I'm glad you didn't get sick!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 KaitiUSA

KaitiUSA

Be the change you wish to see in the world!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,583 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:54 AM

Wow that was one close call...you probably got some in you because when its in your mouth it gets in your saliva so you probably swallowed traces but good thing is you did not get a reaction
Just another example on how important it is to read the labels.
It happens to the best of us though. That happened to me a while ago too except I swallowed it and ended up with a bad reaction.
Kaiti
Positive bloodwork
Gluten-free since January 2004
Arkansas

Jeremiah 29:11- "For I know the plans that I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for you to prosper and not harm you,plans to give you a hope and future"

"One Nation, Under God"

Feel free to email me anytime....jkbrodbent@yahoo.com

#4 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 06:03 AM

i used to love those cow tails :) glad you aren't sick!
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: