This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Floydfest 12 Rise And Shine!

LisaRae28

LisaRae28 Newbie

Hello, I've been skulking around on here a little while now since I was diagnosed in march but I haven't posted anything yet... These forums have been an invaluable tool for me sorting thru the ins and outs of all this so far and I'm hoping ill be able to ask more questions as I go on but something big is about to happen for me and I'm super excited but still anxious when I consider the food thing... It's my first time going to a music festival gluten free and other than packing my own non-perishable food I've got no ideas. I'm sure we can get ice for our cooler but I know I'm going to have to limit cold items. I was *hoping* someone on here may have some festival experience (it's four days) and could give me some tips :)

I've tried looking some of the vendors up and have found out that some offer gluten free foods that look delicious (like crepes) but also wondered if I should even risk the cross contamination factor? I am fairly newly diagnosed and as of the second biopsy despite following the guidelines I was given I was told there was no improvement but that's another post I guess lol...

I'm really excited about the festival itself so if you have anything bad to say about that I'd appreciate you don't respond at all; however, any advice anyone may have would be greatly appreciated! It's way outside of my comfort zone now to try this but ill be damned if this stupid disease is gonna keep me from livin my life!

Thanx all :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GottaSki Mentor

Welcome LisaRae!

You are going to have a blast!

So here is how I live everyday - whether it is packing my bag for a few hours, all day or traveling.  Prepare for the worst scenario and hope for the best.

Being a music festival you have a good chance that there may be a vendor there that is completely gluten free, but I would still pack all my food and use the vendors as a treat if you deem them safe.  Will you be able to exit to your car or just enter once with all your camping supplies?  There is usually ice for sale...but strongly suggest freezing all of your food except for the first day's supply...then pack ice on top of all the frozen food.  So freeze cooked/sliced meat, maybe some ziplocks of chili, beans, potato or rice, then pack some fresh fruits/veggies that don't need refrigeration until cut open, then some packaged munchies...that seems like a good start...I'm sure others will have some great suggestions.

Have fun :)

Edited to add:  Son usually goes for Kettle Corn at large concerts/fairs -- so far he has never had a problem.

bartfull Rising Star

I'm so jealous! Hot Tuna? Trampled by Turtles? I sure wish I could go!!

I have attended more bluegrass festivals than I can remember and at ALL of the big ones, there will be ice for sale and a water truck that goes around with fresh water you can fill your jugs at.

I wasn't gluten-free when I went but I brought all of my own food to every one, and some of them lasted six days. If you can, try to suspend the food in your cooler in some kind of netting or it'll get wet as the ice melts. Either that or make sure it is all in tupperware. Eat the things with meat first because by day four, even if it is in the cooler, it will start being "iffy". Save the pasta dishes for later. Your sauce can have meat in it and it'll be OK. I used to cook the pasta before I went and then I'd just boil water on my camp stove and drop it in to warm it.  Things like chili or soups will last longer too. (I guess for some reason meats in liquid last longer.) And yes, take lots of snacky things. Living outdoors makes you HUNGRY!

Usually, once you have set up your camp you can drive out and go to the nearest grocery store for hamburger and stuff. DO try to get there early so you can get a spot in the shade. It gets HOT in the tent as soon as the sun comes up and you will probably be up late every night. As good as the music on stage will be, some of the best music at bluegrass festivals takes place around various campsites. Make sure you walk all around the camping area every night and you'll see what I mean. Visitors are always welcomed to listen or to play along.

Now, as for the other part of your post - the not healing part - are you sure you're not getting CC'ed? New toaster? Your own condiments so there is no double dipping? New strainer? How about cutting boards and wooden spoons? Did you ditch any scratched plastics or teflon? How's your lipstick, toothpaste, shampoo? Do you kiss a gluten eater before he has thoroughly brushed his teeth?

Go to the festival and have a WONDERFUL time. When you get back, we will help you figure the rest of it out. :)

LisaRae28 Newbie

Thank you two so very much for your responses! I hadnt thought of actually freezing most things although i do use tupperware :) and we will be able to leave if need be.. I've been trying to do this thing pretty much on my own and its incredibly frustrating sometimes. I'm realizing there's still a lot of food I can eat and I feel a lot better overall but it's hard sometimes. I saw everyone's posts when I was first diagnosed and was like "look at these neurotic freaks... That's just overkill" but it didnt take long for me to realize I was sadly among those ranks and with normal people that's when I start getting anxious and awkward because even I think this s$#& is weird and I can't really expect them to understand. I have followed all the suggestions I saw on cross contamination and I'm pretty neurotic about it because its hard to know if I've been cross contaminated considering I didn't know what were symptoms from what in the first place and I also apparently start to have symptoms when my iron drops low again (I have to have infusions.) I've been sorta wingin it all with a whole lot of hope and faith and just keep doing what I'm told to dealing with everything as it happens...

But I wanted to say wow because I get so anxious and feel like its my own personal burden and struggle. I feel like it makes me weird and I didn't even want to tell anyone about it let alone ask for much help and wow... Every little bit I open up more about it let alone actually ask for help in any way I get more than what I need in response... I did want to share with y'all the responses I got via email (because y'all taught me from my skulking around when in doubt contact them directly) from across the way productions who make floydfest happen for shiny happy people like me :)

"Great that you reached out to Monique. Yes there will be fresh fruit too.

I will send this on to our vendor coordinnator to see if she can give you some guidance but do realize we are very busy.

We will definitely take your siuggestions and explain these options better next year in the website.

Safe travels and we'll see you soon

AtWP"

And almost immediately afterward

"Lisa,

Most of our vendors offer gluten free options. However, there are very few who are strictly gluten free, meaning they have no gluten in their kitchen. If you are extremely sensitive, I would recommend bringing your own food and going to Goatocado (salads and bowls with quinoa) and Pulp (Acai berry bowls, traditional Brazilian breakfast and lunch. Our global village vendor, Carolina Arepas makes corn cake wraps, no wheat. Moniques crepes has gluten free savory crepes but does make white flour sweet crepes in her kitchen. Green light café has many gluten free options including a gluten free bread so you can still get a sandwhich. You can get burgers without buns and the like at most vendors as well. Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lindsay Newsome

Vendor Coordinator

Across-the-Way Productions, Inc."

I learned how to do these things from y'all so I really wanted to say thank you :)

GottaSki Mentor

It's a process for all of us....I too remember well thinking...how tough can it be to remove gluten to gain health.... :lol:

Joke was on me...but I will have the last laugh :D

Glad you got a great email response...it really does make doing fun things so much better when we can find safe food!!!

By the way...if you haven't yet heard -- being named "Lisa" seems to be one of the symptoms associated with Celiac Disease that has been left off the master list ;)

Hang in there....and have a blast....I am excited for you!

Archived