This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Any Hairstylist Working And Living With Celiac

celestesrq

celestesrq Newbie

I was very recently diagnosed  with celiac last  Thursday  actually and all the info is overwhelming . I am a hairstylists and work with wheat filled chemicals all day....... I had no idea how many things had wheat in them I thought I would give up gluten and that  would be it, but not so. I am not sure how much the chemical at my job effected me   seems like I would  accidently  contaminating  my self  all day do I have to find another profession now . anyone have any thoughts or is any one else living with the same problem. kind of stumped as what to do. I am all ready sick , worrying about how I will manage all the changes in my life.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LauraTX Rising Star

HI Celeste,

I know very much how at first a Celiac diagnosis is very overwhelming.  This site is a great reference, I was reading this forum for a long time before I actually joined and posted, but it really helped me through the initial start of my gluten-free diet.  I don't think you will need to change jobs.  Basically, if you are not putting it in your mouth, you are unlikely to react to it, but there are some people who say they have skin reactions to gluten-containing cosmetics and such.  I would say, focus on your nutrition and diet now, and after you start to feel better from that, then you can more easily evaluate what else sets off any sensitivities.

If you are still worried about exposure, you can pick up some gloves next time you are at the beauty supply store and maybe make a habit of wearing them when you are washing hair and such, and if your client questions you just tell them that shampoo makes your skin itch.  And close your mouth when you are spraying things.  But chances are, you will not have any problem with the products you use.

I am allergic to a lot of things(dye/fragrance/cocoa and shea butter) in topical/cosmetic products so every time I buy a new product, even if the ingredients look okay, I rub a little bit into my upper arm and let it sit for a few hours to see if I will react.  It saves me from full body rashes after using the wrong shampoo, etc.  Not pretty :o  So if you suspect you are sensitive to something you can try that as well :)

Good luck starting out, it gets better! :) Also cute kiddos!

Laura

Celtic Queen Explorer

Also, there are a bunch of commercial gluten free styling products out there.  Unfortunately I can't remember the names at the moment.  When I first went gluten free, I talked to my stylist about the issue.  My big concern was that my hair was already fragile from my celiac and I didn't want to compound the problem by adding products with gluten, much less worry about a cross contamination risk.  She did a little research, called some companies, and found out which of the products she uses are gluten-free. 

Have you talked to the owner of your salon?  Maybe explain the issue and ask to use only gluten-free products at your station and maybe dedicate one of the sinks to your gluten-free shampoo and conditioner.  I know it's overwhelming right now, but hang in there.  You'll get it worked out.

LauraTX Rising Star

Hi Celeste, I saw this article on a blog post, and thought about the questions you were asking.  I think this sums it up nicely, that celiac disease does not automatically equal a topical allergy.  From the mayo clinic:

Open Original Shared Link

Archived