This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Trader Joe's Gluten-Free English Muffins? Rollout Of New Labeling?

basilicious

basilicious Explorer

Hello,

Has anyone had a recent experience with Trader Joe's gluten-free English muffins?

I've seen posts from 2009 about them, but nothing more recent. I suspect I've had a reaction to them but was not sure at the time... Because I don't know whether or not I had a reaction to them, I'd hate to rule them out if others have had good experiences. The label does not disclose anything about the production equipment and whether it's shared. 

Also, anyone know when TJ's will officially eliminate its "no gluten ingredients" labeling? 

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

moosemalibu Collaborator

I once had a question regarding the production of some almonds at Trader Joe's. I asked  a clerk working there and they phoned headquarters and got the answer regarding shared equipment. Perhaps if you asked them for more information they would help you as they did me? I was pleasantly surprised by how prompt they were in addressing my questions in the store.

I'm sure you could also call or email the company as well with your questions. I haven't had any experience with that item myself.

basilicious Explorer

Thanks, moosemalibu. I forgot that TJs has a good "contact us" feature on its website, so I just sent them an email with the two questions above. Will report back once I get some info. 

WinterSong Community Regular

I've never had good luck asking people in the store itself :( Most of them were totally clueless as to how to answer one of my questions, so I gave up. I've stopped anything processed from TJ's. I stick with fruit, veggies, cheese, and oils for the most part. I have also found the almond butter to be okay. But the nuts all have different labels about shared equipment which made me feel like it was kinda sketchy. Also, I tried their gluten-free brown rice wrap, and I'm pretty sure I got a reaction from it. The remainder from the package are still sitting in my freezer, lol.

Also, (don't quote me on this) but I believe that there is a loophole in the FDA regulations where something can still have a label such as "no gluten ingredients used" as long as it is not labeled "Gluten Free". From the FDA Website:

Are statements like “made with no gluten-containing ingredients” or similarly “not made with gluten-containing ingredients” permitted on labels of foods bearing a gluten-free claim?
Yes. Neither the final rule nor FDA’s general food labeling regulations prohibit the use of a statement like “made with no gluten-containing ingredients” or “not made with gluten-containing ingredients” on any food products, provided that the statement is truthful and not misleading. However, unless the label of the food including such a statement also bears a gluten-free claim, consumers should not assume that the food meets all FDA requirements for a gluten-free food.

Trader Joe's unfortunately might continue their misleading labels. Bummer because I was looking forward to finally knowing what was truly safe in that store. 

TGK112 Contributor

I have been very disappointed with Trader Joe's labeling since diagnosed - about a year and a half ago. I have brought it to managers' attentions, have emailed corporate offices - only to get responses that have not been very helpful. I was thrilled when the FDA made it's announcement - and hope to soon buy more than produce at Trader Joe"s. I did see the above quote on the FDA website. But when I kept looking - I found this

“Gluten Free” Terms

Consumers may also see the terms:

• “Gluten-free”
  • “Free of gluten”
  • “No gluten”
  • “Without gluten”

The new FDA regulation applies to all of these variations.

And this

Inside the Regulation

FDA has set a gluten limit of less than 20 parts per million (ppm) for foods that carry the label “gluten-free,” “no gluten,” “free of gluten,” or “without gluten.”

I really think that it it about time that Trader Joe's steps up and be more clear when it comes to gluten free labeling. At this point in time - their little "g" icon means nothing to me. Hopefully soon things will change - I am just so surprised that Trader Joe's has been so disappointing

Archived