This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

1 week gluten-free and I'm frustrated

Fbmb

squirmingitch Veteran

I'm probably not the best person to answer that question as I never had a problem with dairy from day 1. Others will be along to help with that I'm sure. I did however, have a problem with soy in the beginning but I can do soy now. I just prefer not to have soy so tend to bypass it if possible. It's just my opinion but I don't think soy is good for us. I don't think it will kill us, I just prefer to stay away from it most of the time. 

I'm thrilled you're finding things to eat that work well for you. That's great! Keep on keeping on then and I agree with your GI on not restricting your diet too much. I just thought you might get freaky wondering if you got glutened or if it was "just normal" for now.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fbmb Rising Star
2 hours ago, cstark said:

How long have you not been eating dairy products?  After a about month or so going without, start to slowly add it back into your diet.  I had cut out all dairy when I went gluten free last year.  When I started to add it back in, I found I could handle a small amount of any dairy.  Felt like a lead ball in the middle of my stomach after eating too much dairy. 

You will start to know what your body is liking or not liking throughout this whole gluten detox process.  It's important to know what your body is telling you right now, and like anything right now it is a learning process.

I've been gluten-free for 3 weeks and have been pretty minimal with dairy the entire time. I might eat cheese here and there, or have sour cream on something - but I haven't had cereal with milk in a while. A long while. So I guess I haven't totally nixed it. I've just cut back on it. I haven't really noticed a difference in how I've felt. But I'm also not brave enough to go have a bowl of cereal yet either. I just don't like almond milk. I try so hard to like it and I don't. I would assume that if dairy is a problem for me it's going to show itself before the next day. Like if I have half and half in my coffee I'll probably feel something before the next morning, right? That's why I don't think dairy is a big issue for me - at least in small amounts. I'm just too afraid to rock the boat. But I'm getting bored with my choices :(

squirmingitch Veteran

You could do yogurt and also hard cheeses (aged cheeses). Generally those are tolerated b/c they don't have the lactose issues of the rest of dairy. Also, you could, for now, try Lactaid Milk. It tastes a little different but you'll get used to it quickly. It's lactose free.

I am a dairy lover too & I did over a year without dairy. It was HARD. I did that not b/c I had a problem with lactose or casein but because I have dh (the celiac rash) & dairy is high in iodine which makes the rash worse.

Gemini Experienced
On 11/22/2016 at 6:12 PM, PinkyGurl said:

TTg Iga is used for compliance 10 months into gluten-free mine went down to 4.  When I was first diagnosed I went gluten free for about 2 weeks and then requested a repeat testing ( I wasn't in denial) and my number dropped 10 pots juat form 2 weeks gluten-free.  So yes this can a d is used as a indicator of compliance.

The tTg only tests for intestinal damage.  The DGP tests for reaction to gluten consumed in your diet.  Both tests should be run on follow-up, always.  That is the only way you will know if you are compliant with the diet the way it is meant to be followed.  The number that is most important is the DGP and the only number that needs to be in the very low range on testing.  If normal is anything below 20, they like to see DGP in the 2-3 range, not 15, not 10. This is standard information on any reputable Celiac site.

Archived