This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

An Englishwoman In New York - And Philadelphia

Marimarston

Marimarston Rookie

Hi, I regularly visit NYC and Philadelphia for business reasons, but this is my first time as a sufferer of celiac disease (well, actually not the first as a sufferer, but the first since my diagnosis) I know a few good restaurants that would probably work to accomodate me, but any recommendations on shops that sell gluten free foods as well as restaurants that you know are accomodating would be deeply appreciated.

I am also happy to offer advice on gluten free survival in the UK for anyone who might be visiting!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Marianne--Welcome! I live in New Jersey, outside Philadelphia. I know that there are several Whole Food Markets around the Phila. area. Are you going to be staying in the city? If you let us know the approx. area you will be visiting, we can steer you to the nearest store :)

bklyn Enthusiast

Marimarston - I just returned from visiting my daughters in New York and I ate at several good restaurants that offer a gluten free menu.

Risotteria

Lumi

Rice

Asia de Cuba

Candle 79

Peter's Gourment Diner

Sambuca

Check the Gluten-free Restaurant Awareness Program for New York Restaurants.

Marimarston Rookie

Hi Patti

I am staying at 17th and Walnut in Philadelphia, I guess fairly central. I have been recommended to a gluten free bakery in south Phila, but any further advice would be gratefully accepted!

Thank you so much!

Hi Kathy

thank you very much for the restaurant recommendations - one of my great joys in lfe has been eating out in NYC!

• 1 year later...
glutenfreeindc Newbie

Yes this is very late response to your post but I'm going to Philly this weekend and was just browsing the internet for some good gluten-free spots. I found Mr. Ritts Gluten-free Bakery at 709 E. Passyunk Ave in the heart of South Philadelphia. The website is www.mrritts.com. I've never been but look forward to stopping by when I'm in town this coming weekend. I was hoping I could find a place that does vegan Philly Cheese steaks without gluten but thats a tough one!

Hi, I regularly visit NYC and Philadelphia for business reasons, but this is my first time as a sufferer of celiac disease (well, actually not the first as a sufferer, but the first since my diagnosis) I know a few good restaurants that would probably work to accomodate me, but any recommendations on shops that sell gluten free foods as well as restaurants that you know are accomodating would be deeply appreciated.

I am also happy to offer advice on gluten free survival in the UK for anyone who might be visiting!

Kayaking Mom Newbie

HI - I do not read this site very often and I just saw your post. But if you travel for business, I assume you will be making many trips to NY. There are many great places in NY. A favorite is a very small place in the East Village called Risotteria. They have gluten-free pizza, breaksticks, desserts, risotto, and gluten-free beer!!! It is tiny and very popular. I also like to eat at Bistango on 23rd and 3rd. Ask for Anthony - he is great! They will make most pasta dishes on the menu with fresh gluten-free pasta (of course not the prebaked items like lazangia but the choices are still many). I would also suggest that you check out some of the bloggers. celiacchicks.com is a great site and they tell of gluten-free happenings going on plus have a list of restaurants they have tried. For a wonderful market, try Whole Foods Markets. There are 3 now in Manhattan. The one in the Time-Warner building in Columbus Circle is fantastic. There is also a nice one in Union Square. Look for the items in the Gluten-Free Bakery. They are sometimes in the freezer section. This line was started when one of their bakers, Lee Tobin, was diagnosed as celiac. Whole Foods built him a separate and dedicated bakery to use. Have fun!!

Ms. Celiac Apprentice

There are many restaurants in New York that accommodate a gluten free diet. Some of my favorites are:

Asia De Cuba - They have an entire gluten free menu that includes a lot of different fish, meat, and duck entrees, as well as, several salads. They also have a very good chocolate cake for dessert that is gluten free. (There's one in London too)

Nobu 57 - They do not have a gluten free menu. However, they are very aware of what gluten intolerance is. They are the only place so far that I've found that their sushi rolls don't contain malt vinegar. I've dined their several times and have never gotten sick. (Again, there is one in London too)

Risotteria - This is the legendary gluten free restaurant of NYC. It has pizza, paninis, risotto, breadsticks, cupcakes, cakes, cookies, etc.

Mozzarelli's - A pizza parlor that sells gluten free pizza by the slice.

Zen Palate - A vegetarian restaurant that offers several gluten free options.

The best grocery store to go to for gluten free foods is Whole Foods. There are several locations of this store throughout the city (Columbus Circle, Union Square, etc.)

Jamba Juice - A juice store that has many different types of gluten free juices and smoothies.

Many Ice Cream Stores offer gluten free ice creams (Ben & Jerry's , Ciao Bella, Haagen Daaz, etc.)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived