2 replies to this topic

#1 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 02:23 PM

I tried Lomotil last month to try to get the diarrhea under control. I tried it for a couple of weeks with no luck. But then again, I was taking milk products at the same time. Should I try it again without milk? The doctor today also said to cut out all sugar.

I am so scared now about the dr. mentioning refractory celiac disease that I am desperate to try anything.....

Thanks
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 cmom

cmom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 05:39 PM

[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][SIZE=14][COLOR=gray]
Hi Karen...I have been a celiac for several years, but only got serious about my diet 3 summers ago when I was sick for 9 straight days. I have taken Lomotil, Donnagel, and other diarrhea meds but find that Imodium works best for me. (I use the generic - 2 mg/dose loperamide). Even tho I eat gluten-free, mornings are bad for me. Several trips to bathroom and as I am a special ed teaching assistant, I have to be able to stay out of the bathroom to do my job. Try this and see if it helps..can take up to 6 a day according to my dr. I don't take it if I am going to be at home. Figure my system needs a break from it.
Robin from Indiana

#3 Canadian Karen

Canadian Karen

That Crazy Canuck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts

Posted 05 August 2004 - 01:04 PM

Hi Cmom,

Thanks... I actually am trying Immodium again and it does seem to be helping a bit - instead of 4 - 5 times in the morning, it usually is one once now, and instead of 12-15 times a day, it is only 3 - 4..... So it is helping....

I think it is also helping that I have cut out all dairy, sugar and caffeine also.

Make sure you don't take Lomotil anymore..... I researched it after I had a reaction, and it turns out it contains gluten!! And it was prescribed by my GI dr. I called him to tell him, he said, "Oh......sorry......". Sheesh! You would think they would know what meds contain gluten, eh???

Have a great day!
Karen
Karen

positive bloodwork, positive biopsy
Celiac, collagenous colitis, hypothyroidism
endometriosis (at age 20)
spinal stenosis (early 20's)

Biopsy August 2006 confirmed complete villous atrophy despite being gluten-free for years and bloodwork within range showing compliance with diet. Doctor has confirmed diagnosis of Refractory Celiac Sprue.
Endoscopy also showed numerous stomach ulcers, have started taking Losec.

Mother to Eileen 13 yrs
Rhiannon 8 yrs
Daniel & Connor 6 yr twin boys......

"Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us."
Orison Swett Marden

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
-- Victor Borge

"An optimist laughs to forget. A pessimist forgets to laugh."
Tom Nansbury

"Doctor to patient: I have good news and bad news. The good news is that you are not a hypochondriac."
Unknown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: