Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Starbucks Coffee

5 posts in this topic

Hello there,

I'm Kylie and have been gluten free for a year. Things have been going relatively well, but i am still having a few digestive problems. One was this evening, and so i decided to post and see if anyone knew anything about it. Starbucks coffee, nowhere can i find any hints on ingredients for the instore coffee. I know the bottled beverages (except for mocha flavor) have maltodextrin in them. I drink the peppermint mocha (either hot or frappachino style). And tonight i have been rather ill. Now it's not the normal, you're feeling ok, not feeling good, feeling really really crappy, loose all your food, start to feel a little better celiac sick. It lasted for hours, and is still lingering. So if anyone has any insight i would really appreciate it! Thanks a lot.

Kylie

Ads by Google:

When I contacted Starbucks recently they said, "All Starbucks beverages are gluten free with the EXCEPTION of Frappucinos that contain Java Chips, Vanilla Powder and/or Malt Powder." I'm not positive about the bottled drinks but I believe the Starbucks brand ones that they sell are gluten free. As far as the peppermint mocha making you sick, perhaps it contains one of the above ingredients? I hope I answered your question.

I contacted Starbucks earlier this week in regards to their double shots, bottled frapps, and their in store freshly made stuff, i got the same answer the other person said....avoid java chips, vanilla bean powder, and the malt powder....everything else is fine.

Maltodextrin is gluten-free, it is not the same as barley malt.

What was said above is what I've heard, too. There's a lifelong celiac at the Starbucks I went to where we used to live and she verified it, and I trust her.

What might have happened is that their coffee, especially their espresso, is very strong. Many people get loose stools after drinking coffee. In fact, I've always found a venti Starbucks coffee to work wonders on constipation ;) . Maybe it's not a gluten problem.

The other thing is, the lattes have a LOT of milk .... that ended up being a problem for me. I would get sick every time I had a latte, but it was the casein, not gluten.

EDIT- if you got it frapp style, perhaps the blender wasn't cleaned out good enough. I always mention I have food allergies and they clean them extra for me ... well, before I knew about my casein problem ...

Hi there, just wanted to add, that this weekend I've tried the bottled frappuccino's from Starbucks, the moccha, vanilla and regular coffee one. But other than a little growling I have not been sick at all. Since I get sick as a dog from anything gluten my guess is, that it's really glutenfree. I've had some very little problems in reacting to milk and caffeine though. Maybe it was one of those ingredients instead.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• This 4 out of 5 criteria does not apply to children. I was never given a reason why, but it isn't.     That said, you may try to get a second opinion from another GI who may be willing to give her a firm dx.  We were in your boat 6 years ago and while I'm sure I'll get slammed for it, I wish we had kept gluten in our kiddos diet till he scoped positive for a variety of reasons.  Again, even family is different and you have to find what is best for you!
    • Mnoosh, I had swollen lymph nodes prior to celiac dx and for a while after going gluten free. My neck as well as groin. The groin ones were the worst. Guess what? All gone! It's hard to recall a time line & consider that everyone is different but I think mine completely resolved within a year.  You've been given great information. Just breathe and then again, breathe. You're going to be fine. 
    • It is the only thing you have eaten, so it can't be anything else?  I eat it with no issues so I am not sure how you can be certain that is the problem.  All I am saying is that its sort of "your word against mine and the company's word".  
    • Thanks cyclinglady & manasota! I appreciate it. I came to give an update...... I'm still 99% itch free. I get a "place" like a bug bite once in a while that itches and I just use the prescription steroid cream on it & that takes care of the itch. My rash is healing up rapidly everywhere. Almost clear skin now! Yaaaaayyyyyyyyyy! Now for a rundown of the "treatment". For 20 days I took a 100mg doxycycline twice a day. Then we upped it to two 100mg doxy twice per day. I took those for 5 days & made rapid progress and the itching stopped. The doxy was getting my tummy though. It was getting really rough despite my eating yogurt. So on day 6 and day 7, I took two 100mg doxy in the am but in the pm I just took 1 of them. On day 7, I was nauseous for hours on end. So since I was still doing well without itching and the rash was healing everywhere, I decided to cut back some more. On days 8, 9, & 10 I have only taken two 100mg doxy in the am and none at night. I'm doing good and my tummy is much, much happier! No more nausea!  I'll update as things go along.
    • Many things can damage the small intestine besides celiac disease: http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/what-else-can-cause-damage-to-the-small-intestine-other-than-celiac-disease/ Happily, I can share that I became a Great-Aunt this week for the first time  to a charming little boy. Sadly, my lovely 19 year old niece was diagnosed yesterday with Crohn's.  She had so many symptoms of celiac disease, I was sure she had it.  Actually, I was hoping that she'd have it, because Crohn's can be much worse.  At least there is a "cure" or known trigger for it -- gluten!   Anyway, your daughter might be suffering from something other than celiac disease.  It is possible.  It could be a food intolerance (e.g. milk).  My niece has suffered for years with periodic episodes of abdominal pain, vomiting, etc.  She doesn't have all the "classic" Crohn's Disease symptoms either, yet a recent pill cam revealed a lot!  Her endoscopy was normal.  Celiac panel normal.  Gallbladder scan normal (non-functioning gallbladder is a family curse).  My heart goes out to her, but at least we know what we are dealing with.  Will she ever get celiac disease?  It could happen. Keep advocating, Mom.  That's what I kept telling my SIL.  I also provided my SIL  a family health history tree that each GI was happy to receive.  Unfortunately, no one has had Crohn's in the family.  But, at least it allowed him to test my nieces gallbladder and for celiac disease (a full panel,  mind you).   It would not hurt to get a second opinion.  
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Red Butt in hemet