Starbucks Coffee

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_KylieSuzanne_*

Guest_KylieSuzanne_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:18 PM

Hello there,
I'm Kylie and have been gluten free for a year. Things have been going relatively well, but i am still having a few digestive problems. One was this evening, and so i decided to post and see if anyone knew anything about it. Starbucks coffee, nowhere can i find any hints on ingredients for the instore coffee. I know the bottled beverages (except for mocha flavor) have maltodextrin in them. I drink the peppermint mocha (either hot or frappachino style). And tonight i have been rather ill. Now it's not the normal, you're feeling ok, not feeling good, feeling really really crappy, loose all your food, start to feel a little better celiac sick. It lasted for hours, and is still lingering. So if anyone has any insight i would really appreciate it! Thanks a lot.
Kylie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lapetit8

lapetit8

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 06:39 PM

When I contacted Starbucks recently they said, "All Starbucks beverages are gluten free with the EXCEPTION of Frappucinos that contain Java Chips, Vanilla Powder and/or Malt Powder." I'm not positive about the bottled drinks but I believe the Starbucks brand ones that they sell are gluten free. As far as the peppermint mocha making you sick, perhaps it contains one of the above ingredients? I hope I answered your question.

#3 bmzob

bmzob

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:07 AM

I contacted Starbucks earlier this week in regards to their double shots, bottled frapps, and their in store freshly made stuff, i got the same answer the other person said....avoid java chips, vanilla bean powder, and the malt powder....everything else is fine.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Britni

~Diagnosed with idiopathic autoimmune chronic hepatitus at age 7 (1992)
off medication and in remission since 2002
~Diagnosed with ulcerative colitus age 10 (1995)
on medication under control
~Diagnosed with Celiac's disease age 21, no symptoms (August 10, 2006)
been gluten free since September 6, 2006

#4 CarlaB

CarlaB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,049 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:46 AM

Maltodextrin is gluten-free, it is not the same as barley malt.

What was said above is what I've heard, too. There's a lifelong celiac at the Starbucks I went to where we used to live and she verified it, and I trust her.

What might have happened is that their coffee, especially their espresso, is very strong. Many people get loose stools after drinking coffee. In fact, I've always found a venti Starbucks coffee to work wonders on constipation ;) . Maybe it's not a gluten problem.

The other thing is, the lattes have a LOT of milk .... that ended up being a problem for me. I would get sick every time I had a latte, but it was the casein, not gluten.

EDIT- if you got it frapp style, perhaps the blender wasn't cleaned out good enough. I always mention I have food allergies and they clean them extra for me ... well, before I knew about my casein problem ...
gluten-free 12/05

diagnosed with Lyme Disease 12/06

#5 stef_the_kicking_cuty

stef_the_kicking_cuty

Stef and Luke

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:16 AM

Hi there, just wanted to add, that this weekend I've tried the bottled frappuccino's from Starbucks, the moccha, vanilla and regular coffee one. But other than a little growling I have not been sick at all. Since I get sick as a dog from anything gluten my guess is, that it's really glutenfree. I've had some very little problems in reacting to milk and caffeine though. Maybe it was one of those ingredients instead.
Stef

Next goals:
Results for 2011:
1x PA State Champ (I defended my title in pointfighting) and also again Grand Champion in pointfighting
August 20-27: Karate and Kickboxing World Championships in Germany (my homecountry)
gluten-free since 07/21/2004
Shermans Dale, PA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: