Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Some Fascinating Research...

3 posts in this topic

My nine-year old is doing research for a class project. They had to choose an animal and write an essay. He has chosen the gila monster (don't ask!), and while perusing some websites he suddenly shouted, "Mom! C'mere!" He has stumbled upon research and scientific studies that are being conducted involving the digestion process within these creatures. Apparently, a gila only eats three of four times a year, and when it does a peptide called exendin-4 is secreted into its saliva, and this peptide attacks its pancreas, jump-starting it to perform the herculean task of producing enough insulin to deal with the enormous amount of food that is to be digested. Scientists have injected this peptide into diabetic mice, and sure enough, their pancreases are walloped with this stuff and the beta cells start producing insulin. Incredible. Now, for someone like myself whose beta cells were destroyed by my immune system many, many years ago and have done nothing for over thirty years, this stuff may not help. But the research seems to suggest just this--that whatever is in this powerful peptide has truly regenerative properties. Exciting stuff! :)

Ads by Google:

Wow--that is really interesting! Your son is quite the researcher :D

No kidding, your son is amazing. Fascinating information, thanks for sharing it.