2 replies to this topic

#1 elye

elye

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,062 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 08:57 AM

My nine-year old is doing research for a class project. They had to choose an animal and write an essay. He has chosen the gila monster (don't ask!), and while perusing some websites he suddenly shouted, "Mom! C'mere!" He has stumbled upon research and scientific studies that are being conducted involving the digestion process within these creatures. Apparently, a gila only eats three of four times a year, and when it does a peptide called exendin-4 is secreted into its saliva, and this peptide attacks its pancreas, jump-starting it to perform the herculean task of producing enough insulin to deal with the enormous amount of food that is to be digested. Scientists have injected this peptide into diabetic mice, and sure enough, their pancreases are walloped with this stuff and the beta cells start producing insulin. Incredible. Now, for someone like myself whose beta cells were destroyed by my immune system many, many years ago and have done nothing for over thirty years, this stuff may not help. But the research seems to suggest just this--that whatever is in this powerful peptide has truly regenerative properties. Exciting stuff! :)
Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973
diagnosed celiac winter 2005
diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! Posted Image

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.
--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:00 AM

Wow--that is really interesting! Your son is quite the researcher :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#3 rinne

rinne

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 09:51 AM

No kidding, your son is amazing. Fascinating information, thanks for sharing it.
A family with Celiac disease, two brothers and two sisters.

Lyme Disease, Diagnosis October 19, 2006

May 2006 - December 2008 Gluten and Dairy Free

December 2008, while seeing improvement on the gluten free diet, I did not recover and so in December of 2008 began the SCD and now have hope for recovery.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: